Knife Storage

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Mmmmm... Tho if in a leather sheath this will get absorbed into the leather after a while...

Yeah, maybe but then you could argue that the areas it has soaked into the leather are now wax impregnated. ;)

I really find it no issue with no extra stuff rubbed on. I used to think I had to because that's what 'the internet' told me. After a while I worked it out for myself.

i'll occasionally put on some ren wax or use some tuff cloth. It's more about relaxing and fiddling - almost meditative. Don't think I need to do it regularly.

Does it cut? Yes. Job done. :D

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Robbi had the best idea I,ve seen in storing his knives in a secure tool drawer box. I,ve my knife collection in plastic lockable overnight luggage cases, others in ruccies.

phil

S

Something In The Woodshed

I think the tool box idea is good but my only concern would be if its cold you may get condensation from a change in temperature and therefore moisture, but I may be getting carried away here.
I have a draw type wooden cabinet my cousin made for me which is perfect.
As for the keeping knives in sheaths. Some knives like it, some don't, although anything with nickel silver of brass:rolleyes: may tarnish quicker if kept this way and a blade may dull a little.
Hope this helps..
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Providing they are not left in their sheath wet or after cutting something acidic there shouldn't be an issue.

I try to remember to give them a quick wipe with oil when I get home but I do sometime forget and get the odd spot of light rust.

Rub it down with oil and it's usually good to go again. It all adds character in my opinion.
Same here!
Most of my knives live hanging - in their sheaths - on my livingroom wall (OK sad - I know) and never seem to have rust issues.
The sheaths are waxed leather or wood, most of the blades are carbon steel and our house is not the warmest or dryest (200 years old at least, no damp proof in the walls, lots of draughts, in Wet Wales about 8 miles from the sea) and the worst rust I have suffered (at least my KNIVES have suffered) is when I used one to cut some choc and caramel shortbread and forgot to wipe the blade clean then left the knife in my van for a week (my van is not the driest either...often full of wet canoe kit and/or me living in the back) - the blade was quite rusty.
A rub down with a sponge/scourer from the kitchen and an aplication of WD40 and I was just left with some interesting patination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE