Knife projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
It's taken me nearly as long to learn photobucket as complete my knives...with apologies for the poor picture quality - camera upgrade next. Big thanks to Neil1, Leon-1 and RB for advice, ideas and inspiration and to RB for sending the rivets. The Lapplander and F1 will accompany me to Sweden next week for an outing in their own environment. The Lapplander scales are oak floorborad offcuts and it's scarey sharp but unfortunately useless with a firesteel. The F1 scales are in walnut and both are finished (after several unsatisfactory alternatives which I sanded off) with birchwood casey gunstock oil.
F1Lapplander.jpg
[/IMG] Good job the camera hides some of the imperfections - particulary with the sheaths - but it's all useable which is all that's required
F1inWalnut.jpg
[/IMG] Oh..and thanks to Roving Rich for solving the problems of posting pictures..

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
They look really good Stuart, well done.
You should feel justly proud of yourself :D

Have fun in Sweden - like you need telling !

Cheers

Mark

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Great job Falcon, I thought I was the only person in the world that uses Oak and walnut floorboards for knife handles!
I found a 24 hour soak in danish oil does a good job on the finish. I usually take of any exess shine with some fine wire wool before polishing.Also I read on Greenpetes site that the tanin in oak is corrosive to steel so I put vulcanised fibre spacers in mine. Enjoy Sweden.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Looking good Falcon. I look forward to having a proper look on Sunday :D Maybe I can take some action shots of them for you as well.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
They turned out great falcon and the sheath's look grand.:D
Hope they serve you well and enjoy the trip.
We will expect a full report when you return.
Cheers

rb

BTW - Is the Lapplander blade blank from Attleborough ?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Yes RB, it's quite a sturdy 3mm thickness which tapers towards the point. It takes a superb edge and balances quite nicely. The only disappointment is that it won't produce sparks with the firesteel(nor will my Pukko) whereas the F1 and my O1 blades are superb. Keep you posted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE