Knife making wip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Thought I'd start another wip as I always enjoy following them and hopefully you'll enjoy watching as much as I do making

OK. This knife is supposed to be a companion to my friction folder I made. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114682

Although full tang and a longer blade. I Started with some 5 or 6 mm 01 steel and roughly cut out with a hacksaw.then ground to rough shape.
9yzetyta.jpg

Then set to work on the bevels
a2equne7.jpg

Here it is next to the ff
derahadu.jpg

Not sure how far ill get on this wip(my first born is due on fri) but we'll see. It'll get done eventually.

Thanks for looking kris

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Ok folks I cocked this one up so we'll start again.

This time ill use a farriers rasp instead
uny7e8a2.jpg

Hacksaw out the rough shape
2u8age2u.jpg
yduvasuq.jpg

Grind to shape, drill pin holes and and rough out the handle.
yqyvemym.jpg
uny9e5e8.jpg
esegyzeq.jpg
ese8u9ub.jpg
me5ynyqy.jpg
5uhadyny.jpg

Thanks for looking. Kris

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ambiguous

Jul 6, 2013
yorkshire
Nice work! Did the rasp knife take a lot of grinding? I have a few old files I fancy shaping into a knife instead of my usual practice of using a pre-made blade and handling it; I was wondering how much work is involved, file steel is hard!

ATB- John.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Nice work! Did the rasp knife take a lot of grinding? I have a few old files I fancy shaping into a knife instead of my usual practice of using a pre-made blade and handling it; I was wondering how much work is involved, file steel is hard!

ATB- John.
Cheers. The file has been annealed so it was quite easy to shape.

I'd have stood no chance if it was fully hardened.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
I did suspect annealing would be involved- guess i better get messing with my oven :p

I don't think you'll be able to fully anneal it in the oven (I might be wrong) but you'll definitely be able to temper it enough to grind to shape. Keep dunking it in water while grinding to cool it.
If it gets too hot while grinding it won't hold an edge after

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's looking really cool! I have a very strong liking for the rasp knives, good steel and they look great to me; trouble is I want every one of them I see!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE