Knife Making Video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Pete, I'll mirror my PM comments on open forum for the benefit of the whole membership.
If anyone is thinking about starting out in knifemaking or is having doubts about any part of the process, spend a little time watching Greenpete's video sequence. It will dispell any "dark art" that might be holding you back and offer inspiration to anyone with even rudimentry tools.

Thanks for everything Pete - you're a true gent.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tony, a link to these videos might be a good thing to add to the skills section , rather than loose the link when the thread eventually dies.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Greenpete said:
I'm pleased you guys like my video, I hope it helps?
I was thinking of doing it as a DVD as well, I would only want to cover my costs so the cost of a disc plus P&P, what do you think?
Greenpete, the video is superb! Its captured myself and a friend who have already started gathering old files, tools and saucepans making our own custom hearth, great inspirational video. Thanks for sharing it. I think making a DVD would be a great idea. If you truly werent bothered about profiting from such a DVD and just wanted to share the knowledge I could help setup a torrent for you where by people could freely download the DVD ready to burn. But if you wanted to charge and make a bit I fully understand and your entitled to charge for the great work you do :You_Rock_

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Nightwalker said:
Greenpete, the video is superb! Its captured myself and a friend who have already started gathering old files, tools and saucepans making our own custom hearth, great inspirational video. Thanks for sharing it. I think making a DVD would be a great idea. If you truly werent bothered about profiting from such a DVD and just wanted to share the knowledge I could help setup a torrent for you where by people could freely download the DVD ready to burn. But if you wanted to charge and make a bit I fully understand and your entitled to charge for the great work you do :You_Rock_
Thank you!

Please note that there has been some trouble with the torrent and until I get feedback on the file, I can't be sure it's ok!
Please anyone that has downloaded it get back to me and tell me if it played ok, thanks.

You can download my video using BitTorrent! (a 355MB.avi file as opposed to a DVD.iso An image of the DVD is 1.4gig a little too big perhaps? If you're ok dealing with BitTorrent you'll probably be able to convert to DVD anyway)
Grab the torrent file from here or from my website!

Peter

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
Great .it's not often that i sit and watch with out distractions, but i watch this with out picking up my beer to have a drink. going back now to watch again :You_Rock_

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Greenpete said:
Thank you!
You can download my video using BitTorrent! (a 355MB.avi file as opposed to a DVD.iso An image of the DVD is 1.4gig a little too big perhaps? If you're ok dealing with BitTorrent you'll probably be able to convert to DVD anyway)
Grab the torrent file from here or from my website!

Peter
Thats great to hear pete! I will certainly be downloading that. I'll seed it for a good while too ;)

Yeah, I've been reading your website www.greenpete.co.uk and was glad to find that we have something in common; your a tech-head too :p Just like I read on your site, it feels a little strange to enjoy both Bushcraft & be a tech'head. I still wouldnt mind having your proper DVD version if you are up for making a torrent for it, I dont mind helping you out with the initial seed to get the torrent off the ground. 1.4GB is nothing to me :rolleyes: Im sure it'll be popular and then wont require seeding by yourself.

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Nightwalker said:
...... I still wouldnt mind having your proper DVD version if you are up for making a torrent for it, I dont mind helping you out with the initial seed to get the torrent off the ground. 1.4GB is nothing to me :rolleyes: Im sure it'll be popular and then wont require seeding by yourself.

I would be happy to do the DVD.iso
My concern is that I only have an upload speed of 25-30kbs and I can't use it all, all the time as I am on a network sharing the band width. So I wondered if people were happy to wait the time it will take.
When the .avi file has gone out at least once, I'll do the DVD.iso and see how it goes, so tomorrow probably.
By the way it's not an authored DVD, i.e. no titles etc, you just pop it in and it plays!
And yes, I have to admit, I am a nerd :rolleyes: who lives in a primitive way... sort of!
What can I say?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Greenpete said:
I would be happy to do the DVD.iso
My concern is that I only have an upload speed of 25-30kbs and I can't use it all, all the time as I am on a network sharing the band width. So I wondered if people were happy to wait the time it will take.
When the .avi file has gone out at least once, I'll do the DVD.iso and see how it goes, so tomorrow probably.
By the way it's not an authored DVD, i.e. no titles etc, you just pop it in and it plays!
Yeah I know what you mean, 25-30kbps is the average for a normal ADSL line. Not a problem at all, I can utilise 2 or 3 ADSL lines at a time, I could get us about 100kbps upstream to do the initial seed no problem, you wouldnt even have to do it at all ;) Just get a copy of the DVD sent to me in the post, I dont mind covering costs. ah well I talk to you via PM now, im sure the BCUK lot have had enough of this tech'no'bable. :rolleyes: :p

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
Question for Greenpete:

On the video it seems you file (then stone) the fully sharpened edge onto the knife before heat treating. I have read on other forums that this can cause the edge to warp, crack (when quenching) or even burn the edge off as the carbon gets so hot, and you should only take the edge down to about about a pennys thickness. I'm going to be making my first blade soon (with a scandi grind aswell), so is it ok to put the final edge on the blade before the H.T (which would be easyer) or am i better to it after the H.T on the grinder????

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Outdoorsman said:
Question for Greenpete:

On the video it seems you file (then stone) the fully sharpened edge onto the knife before heat treating. I have read on other forums that this can cause the edge to warp, crack (when quenching) or even burn the edge off as the carbon gets so hot, and you should only take the edge down to about about a pennys thickness. I'm going to be making my first blade soon (with a scandi grind aswell), so is it ok to put the final edge on the blade before the H.T (which would be easyer) or am i better to it after the H.T on the grinder????
All I can say (as I do at the beginning of my video), this is the way 'I' make a knife, it works and I have made many good knives. Not necessarily the best knives but 'good' knives.
You must go with how you feel happiest!
Read everything you can find and then blend all the information in a way that makes sense to you.

Hope that helps?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've just watched the vids and found them very clear and instructive... If there was a way to link them on the tutorials section here it'd be good... I like the file guide, having made a large lansky-like guide, I wish I'd seen your one earlier, the pics on your site helped ,but seeing it it action made the difference... Thanks again..

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
JohnC
Almost exactly the way your brantub knife was made ;) - I've been refering folk to Greenpetes site for quite a while, he has a wealth of good info there.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE