knife making book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Could someone recommend a good book on knife making. Im looking for something that explains the techniques as opposed to one with a number of projects in.
Im very much a beginner but I am a joiner by trade so I guess I have some knowledge that might be useful.

Thanks for any help

edit : ok ive done some research and I think what i technically want to do is cutlery i.e. taking a blade made by someone else and fashioning the handle . I guess maybe Im being pedantic here but then if I dont get the terms right im not going to learn much am I :cool:

shanec

May 11, 2005
Didcot, Oxford
First of all i duno what kind of knife you mean do you mean one you can make up while your out in the bush or blacksmithing your own knife?

If you mean blacksmithing then i can help you, if not read no further :p Ive been interested in blacksmithing for a while now mainly bladesmithing. I dont really know much i just have been reading about it and stuff, but i did find one good book wich was recomended..

The Complete Bladesmith, Forging your way to perfection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0873644301/qid=1116157880/026-8867938-3850014

Its £37 brand new, but you can pick up a second hand for £15 maybe abit more, wich is what i did and mine is in excellent condition.

This book teaches you everything you need to know, well thats my opponion anyways ill write down the chapters and you can get an idea of whats in it...

Chapter 1 The workshop and tools of the trade
Chapter 2 Steels to Use
Chapter 3 Fire and Forge
Chapter 4 Forging Blades
Chapter 5 Rough Grinding
Chapter 6 Heat-Treating
Chapter 7 Final Grinding
Chapter 8 Fittings
Chapter 9 Grip Material
Chapter 10 Grip Making
Chapter 11 Polish and Finish
Chapter 12 Sharpening
Chapter 13 Leatherwork
Chapter 14 Scrimshaw
Chapter 15 Sword Making
Chapter 16 Darnascus Steel
Chapter 17 Heat-Treating Darnascus Steel
Chapter 18 Darnascus Patterns
Chapter 19 Cable Blades
Chapter 20 The Japanise Blades
Chapter 21 Japanese Heat-Treating and Polishing

I've not finished reading the book but ive found it very good it teaches you alot, There is 179 pages and its A4.

Hope this helped you out and if this aint what you was asking for then sorry for wasting your time :p

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
shanec said:
First of all i duno what kind of knife you mean do you mean one you can make up while your out in the bush or blacksmithing your own knife?

If you mean blacksmithing then i can help you, if not read no further :p Ive been interested in blacksmithing for a while now mainly bladesmithing. I dont really know much i just have been reading about it and stuff, but i did find one good book wich was recomended..

The Complete Bladesmith, Forging your way to perfection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0873644301/qid=1116157880/026-8867938-3850014

Its £37 brand new, but you can pick up a second hand for £15 maybe abit more, wich is what i did and mine is in excellent condition.

This book teaches you everything you need to know, well thats my opponion anyways ill write down the chapters and you can get an idea of whats in it...

Chapter 1 The workshop and tools of the trade
Chapter 2 Steels to Use
Chapter 3 Fire and Forge
Chapter 4 Forging Blades
Chapter 5 Rough Grinding
Chapter 6 Heat-Treating
Chapter 7 Final Grinding
Chapter 8 Fittings
Chapter 9 Grip Material
Chapter 10 Grip Making
Chapter 11 Polish and Finish
Chapter 12 Sharpening
Chapter 13 Leatherwork
Chapter 14 Scrimshaw
Chapter 15 Sword Making
Chapter 16 Darnascus Steel
Chapter 17 Heat-Treating Darnascus Steel
Chapter 18 Darnascus Patterns
Chapter 19 Cable Blades
Chapter 20 The Japanise Blades
Chapter 21 Japanese Heat-Treating and Polishing

I've not finished reading the book but ive found it very good it teaches you alot, There is 179 pages and its A4.

Hope this helped you out and if this aint what you was asking for then sorry for wasting your time :p

Seconded, it's an excellent book and well worth the price :)

It smells nice as well ;)

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.

rapidboy said:
Really you will get as much if not more information by reading a lot of the threads over on British Blades and the guy's over there are more than happy to answer any questions.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You will also be able to source blades and any other material you need over there.
rb

I think you might be right in that I can probably find the info that I need on the net and save the money I would have spent on a book.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE