knife making advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
iv very nearly finished making my first knife a folder simular idea to the svord peasant knife.
its made out of sycamore and was thinking of finishing it with either boiled linseed oil or just olive oil but was wondering if anyone has any better ideas?
also was wondering what is best to use to fix/hinge the blade, i was thinking of using a brass m4 nut and bolt but wasnt sure if it would be strong enough?
any advice thanks

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Either of those oils would be fine, but if i was doing it i'd go for the linseed oil.Just a matter of choice really..Danish oil is another choice or creamed beeswax.
And regarding the hinge pin i think a steel pin would be longer lasting.A brass pin would wear over time.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
cheers mate what size steel pin would you recomend, its qute a heavy duty knife, does it matter if ites threaded all the way

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
use either linseed oil or danish oil and soak the scales for a couple of hours longer if you want to darken the colour.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I think i know what you mean with the blt, is one side a kind of threaded sleave rather than a nut, with a flat head slot in the top, if so i should think it would work fine,

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
cheers boys think il soak it in linseed oil and try to get a pin of ebay..
weres the best place to get a piece of leather to have ago at making a small sheath?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thanks mikew what type of leather is best?. il try and get some photos on over the weekend if i can figure out how to do it

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
You want veg tanned, something around 2mm-3mm. Give them a ring they are really nice people and will be happy to talk leather. Better still pay them a visit, they are in Matlock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE