Friction folder advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi all in the market for a new knife and want to keep within the parameters of UK knife law. So folding knife, non locking, 3inch blade ( can be shortened if needs be) and a budget of £40. Now the only one I know of is the Svord Peasant mini. I have researched and it has very mixed reviews. So was wondering if anyone else out there knows of any other makes and models of friction folders within the £40 budget?
Cheers

The Bushcraft Store Boar in natural micarta is currently priced at £45. If carving is your thing then a scandi grind should work well for you.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk...carta---perfect-edc-knife---mk-ii-12816-p.asp

Reactions: Kepis

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
The ckrt journeyer is a good knife. Not best build quality but can be locked In to fixed blade via a small pin. Which unfortunately quickly gets lost. I've had that one handed back to me by the ol bill once. But my edc is the Viper Dan 2. Awesome slip joint and is beautiful with the carbon scales. Modified Wharncliffe, sharp as shite and a really nice design. Is expensive though

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jonboy83

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wanted a stove that would burn very hot at freezing temperatures.
So I bought a Coleman 533 single burner naptha stove, direct from Coleman for $80.00CDN.
I have decades of experience with the old Coleman "green box" 2-burner stoves.
That was really my deciding point of value. The new stove is a volcano.

BUT! Yesterday, I was looking for some piece of kit and ran across a business selling Coleman 533 stoves.
Those sonsabitches were asking $237.00 CDN for the 533 stove!

What does this have to do with friction folders?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The idea with the pin looks interesting.

I don't know the british law, but:

A friction folder that can be blocked with a screw would be an interesting Idea, isn't it?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I like using the mora eldris at the moment, small blade with a sturdy handle. I appreciate it isn't a friction folder, it is a handy knife

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If I had twice admitted to carrying weapons I would be very reluctant to ever carry anything sharp again

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
May be.

The problem is that a kitchen or outdoor knife is a tool and no weapon.

And that tools are needed, how the hunter needs the rifle or a carpenter a saw.

In Germany normal fixe bladed knifes up to 12 cm are legal to carry for everybody. And that is a relatively new law. (Before we could run around with a sword in the streets.)

In my opinion you have to found a bushcraft association to justify legal carrying of knifes, saws and axes if you are a member of the bushcraft association or the boy scouts.

It is incredible that Britain declares former boy scout knifes as illegal weapons. What's going on in your country???

I am not so sure about, if your state would still exist, if Baden Powell wouldn't have founded the boy scouts.

I think, in this times Britain wasn't so far away from a revolution.

Reactions: Tiley

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
It's really not. It's fixed so regardless of blade length, it falls into illegal territory. The law is vague but that much is clear

I know that nordic outdoors(Edinburgh) had a register book for knife purchasers, am sure i had to show id to prove my details were correct.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
May be.

The problem is that a kitchen or outdoor knife is a tool and no weapon.

And that tools are needed, how the hunter needs the rifle or a carpenter a saw.

In Germany normal fixe bladed knifes up to 12 cm are legal to carry for everybody. And that is a relatively new law. (Before we could run around with a sword in the streets.)

In my opinion you have to found a bushcraft association to justify legal carrying of knifes, saws and axes if you are a member of the bushcraft association or the boy scouts.

It is incredible that Britain declares former boy scout knifes as illegal weapons. What's going on in your country???

I am not so sure about, if your state would still exist, if Baden Powell wouldn't have founded the boy scouts.

I think, in this times Britain wasn't so far away from a revolution.
Well when idiots like bear grills are head of the scouts it's no wonder they banned scout knives! Probably worried kids will go around skinning animals to make anew emergency shelter in all seriousness though, there are a fair amount of idiots in this country that carry a knife for " protection" innit blud. So it's easier for them to ban all than find an alternative.

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
I know that nordic outdoors(Edinburgh) had a register book for knife purchasers, am sure i had to show id to prove my details were correct.
That would be the case as the new laws for sellers require Id nowadays. But UK knife law does not allow for any fixed or locking knife to be carried without good reason. Have a read. It's surprisingly shallow but direct I guess.

Reactions: tiger stacker

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
He means he's after a knife that is section 139 compliant rather than needing an acceptable reason for carrying a fixed blade, Lock knife or slipjoint over 3 inches.
Pretty sure slip joints are acceptable. Non locking and under 3 as a rule for UK edc

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
But training survival skills to prepare longer journeys is a good reason. And longer journeys are good old British tradition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE