Friction folder advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm a great fan of the Joker no74.

Small, cheap, inoffensive with a versatile blade that's easy to keep sharp.

What's not to like?

Yeah, I like the Jokers as well.
They look nice and take a really good edge.
BUT.
The spring is incredibly weak. I've had two of them and they've both been the same. They close and bite you very easily, which is even worse when you consider how sharp you can get them. My breaking point was when one closed on me and gave me a very nasty cut indeed.
Shame because they are good knives, I just wish the spring was a bit tougher or there was a reasonable way of adjusting them. But for that reason I wouldn't touch another one, however much I like them otherwise.
If all you're going to do is cut a bit of string or slice up a pepperami then they are great. But if you intend on doing any kind of carving or whittling with them (let alone 'heavy duty' then there's a very high chance indeed the blade will close on you. It's happened to me many times.

Here's one I like.
The British Army pocket knife. One of these:
https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/482-British-Army-Folding-Pocket-Knife/

The spring is tough, the blade is strong, and it takes a very good edge.
Yes, it's a bit brutish in appearance. But you can always add some scales to it, which is what I did with mine:

32597866508_a83f78061f_o.jpg

This is the knife I use about 99% of the time. It's tough and strong and a good price. It does all kind of whittling and carving projects (it's what I use) and other general camp tasks.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Pretty sure slip joints are acceptable. Non locking and under 3 as a rule for UK edc

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

A slipjpint over 3" is not automatically legal, hence that's why I pointed it out.

Some people get confused thinking that a fixed blade under 3" is fine or a slipjoint of any length is fine. Some also don't realise that a lock knife classes as a fixed blade under uk case law.

Folk can disagree with me if they like, doesn't worry me. I've had years of discussions around this so am very comfy with it all and if people have a different view that they feel will get past the police / courts that's fine.

Reactions: RaoTao

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
A slipjpint over 3" is not automatically legal, hence that's why I pointed it out.

Some people get confused thinking that a fixed blade under 3" is fine or a slipjoint of any length is fine. Some also don't realise that a lock knife classes as a fixed blade under uk case law.

Folk can disagree with me if they like, doesn't worry me. I've had years of discussions around this so am very comfy with it all and if people have a different view that they feel will get past the police / courts that's fine.
No disagreement, just clearing it up. You were far more eloquent this time round. And maybe a Lil touchy. We definitely on the same page brother. Trying to slice the top edge with a freshly stropped blade more times than necessary. Just to be sure its scary sharp

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If a slippie is still on your horizon, see if you can still find a QCCC (Queen City Cutlery) large congress in 1095.

Queen closed recently, but they made a bunch in this older, half-congress pattern in 2014 and they may yet be findable. I managed to snag one in jigged bone and also one in the ultra affordable cattomeat wood they used for a bit (a kind of grey/purple birdseye maple, in D2 steel) ... the intention remains to get that one rescaled.

The knife has a good solid sheepsfoot blade (at ukedc length) and a large pen. 1095 is great carving steel. It is 4" long overall, but slim in the pocket.

Possibly all you are looking for. :) I'll see if I can find a pic

By the way of a minor disagreement, horses/courseswise, the Manly Wasp is a perfectly good carver. It's problems lie in that the 12C27 steel requires frequent sharpening. But that's not really a problem. The S90V version is great. It gets super sharp, stays super sharp and will carve pretty much anything, so long as you don't depend on a lot of torsion in your technique. The only real issue might be that the blade is too broad for what you want. Also the S90V version is less inexpensive.

A scandi edge, if that's what you are after, can be found on the Brisa/Enzo slippie. Cost is a bit up there though. In general, a large stockman makes for a good carver, if you can find one. Moore Maker do a good one, as did German Ey; but they too have closed and the Moore Maker was manufactured by Queen. Where will it all end? :lol: Soon, we'll all be stuck fetishising GEC trads and imagining we play baseball in the time off from our clerk's jobs and rocking chairs

EDIT: here's a picture of the QCCC large congress

61af7b4323ee0b9d1be2ea2d0faeb30f.jpg

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yeah, I like the Jokers as well.
They look nice and take a really good edge.
BUT.
The spring is incredibly weak. I've had two of them and they've both been the same. They close and bite you very easily, which is even worse when you consider how sharp you can get them. My breaking point was when one closed on me and gave me a very nasty cut indeed.
Shame because they are good knives, I just wish the spring was a bit tougher or there was a reasonable way of adjusting them. But for that reason I wouldn't touch another one, however much I like them otherwise.
If all you're going to do is cut a bit of string or slice up a pepperami then they are great. But if you intend on doing any kind of carving or whittling with them (let alone 'heavy duty' then there's a very high chance indeed the blade will close on you. It's happened to me many times.
<Snip.

I've carved, whittled and done all sorts of craft jobs with mine with no problems. The Spring is lighter than some but if you are aware of that and use it accordingly there should be no problem.

if you are doing a job that should be done with a fixed or locking blade then that is what you should be working with. Never expect a slip joint knife to be as safe as a fixed blade, non of them are.

When push came to shove, it was the only knife I took with me for my first Arctic Winter trip and it served me perfectly. I bought a replacement when I lost the first and it rarely leaves my side.

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have and use a load of knives, and carve all the time, mainly wooden toys for my little girls from any wood to hand, both soft and hard. You really cannot go wrong with whatever knife takes your fancy, but I find personally that Wharncliffe and sheepfoot shape blades are wonderful. Particularly with a chisel grind.

I am a steel fancier, but I often pick up my crkt edgie, the steel is rubbish, but cuts really well because of the blade shape...

Reactions: Nice65

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Very recently, we had a local lad up in court for carrying a locking knife.
I this case it was less than an inch blade, of the type of thing you might find in a xmas cracker!. It was on his keyring, along with loads of other junk. He wasn't aware that it was locking.
He put his keys and other pocket contents down to go through a building security check. the doorman saw it, and called the police.
When it went to court, the magistrate and prosecution were embarased at the whole thing, but said that technically he was in breach of the law, and so now has a criminal record.

I had to warn my sister recently, as she had a victorinox tool card in her handbag, which was basically a nail care kit. But it had a 1" long 'blade like' thing, in a fixed moulded handle.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
It is incredible that Britain declares former boy scout knifes as illegal weapons. What's going on in your country???.

Increase in inner city knife crime, and rather than look at the root causes that have caused it the government just bans knives - which only affects legitimate users. Criminals and people with a criminal intent etc will still acquire and source knives for crimes.

The UK is going to **** and has been for several years.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In Switzerland every citizen had a military fire arm in the wardrobe case for decades.

They didn't have any problems with that.

May be, that the reason was, that every Swiss man had a real fire arm in his wardrobe....

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I use a Svord Peasant mini and one of these;

ff2 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

ff1 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Really well built, heavy & sturdy, keeps a seriously good edge for something that costs less than six quid, they says its D2 steel, which i very much doubt, i only bought it because i was intrigued but have to admit to using it far more than i thought i would.

Available from Gearbest, other Chinese websites are available ;-)

https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives-folding-knives/pp_009929325324.html?wid=1433363

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Thought I would share some of my favourite slip joints. There is an old Sheffield stockman and an old I xl farmer in the mix and the manly wasps, including heinnie special
54d209efe819bb56923b1fce34e3a82e.jpg
546a7a6e37bf08390438b979f71f223c.jpg
d3d1b8671b01e61e626815ddb2d7feaa.jpg
abdd50f630cb8365b377e0efac05763a.jpg
bb46f4ad87f65b470cbb4da347f60eb6.jpg

Sent from my HT17Pro using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I would live in Britain I would buy an Opinel No7 Carbone, blade 7,7 cm and shorten the tip a bit.
The locking ring can be removed if the blade is locked in the closed position. Than open the knife with pliers.

The best option would be to shorten the blade of a Opinel No8 Carbone, because the handle is constructed for adult men. But this of course would be a bit more work, because the blade is original 8,5 cm long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE