Knife Maintenance: advice needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hello, just wondering how folks here clean their carbon steel knives.

I recently purchased a Mora Clipper, and although I've found plenty of information about sharpening the blade, I'm unsure of how best to clean it.

I used it for the first time the other day, and already it has some stains and marks on the blade. Is it safe to use soapy water? If so, what is best to use to scrub off the dirt?

I also understand that oil can be used to create a protective layer on the blade?

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear any tips people have as it's my first proper bushcraft knife, and I want to maintain it properly!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A reasonably thorough clean will be affected if you strop the blade after use.
If you have been using it to process raw meat, then soap & water is a good plan, but be uber-careful of the cutting edge- and dry it well before putting it back in its sheath.
Any oil will protect the blade from corrosion, but choose one that will not taint any food that you intend to prepare with that blade.
Lastly, carbon steel blades, if left unpolished, will eventually acquire a "patina" - a type of surface corrosion that will protect the steel underneath - this will have very little bearing on its performance and can be aesthetically pleasing too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Soap and water to clean it - if it realy needs it -but to protect the blade I would force a patina by leaving it wrapped in vinegar soaked tissue overnight.
This can turn it almost black ( but more usually an attractive mottled grey/ brown )with a chemical layer that is rust resistant and - to my eyes - very atractive.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for all the info guys. Very much appreciated.

I've just looked at the process of forcing a patina, but I think I prefer the idea of letting it happen over time.

Does this mean that I'm in fact better off just not cleaning the blade too much (unless it has been used with raw meat); instead just wiping off any excess dirt and moisture but leaving the rest to form a patina?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I always put my blade under the tap when I get home (particularly if I have been on the beach) then let it dry before storing it. If I know I am not going to use it for a while I may put some olive/vegetable oil on it as well, but not neccessary if you keep it in a dry environment, (Bathroom & kitchen would not be good places). Washing it in clean water will remove salt/minerals but will not affect the Patina process unless you use abrasives e.g. Scourer.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
s'étonner;1115599 said:
Does this mean that I'm in fact better off just not cleaning the blade too much (unless it has been used with raw meat); instead just wiping off any excess dirt and moisture but leaving the rest to form a patina?

Cleaning any surface material off is good - particularly rust. If what you have is more like "staining" (often grey to black), just leave it be.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Soap and water to clean it - if it realy needs it -but to protect the blade I would force a patina by leaving it wrapped in vinegar soaked tissue overnight.
This can turn it almost black ( but more usually an attractive mottled grey/ brown )with a chemical layer that is rust resistant and - to my eyes - very atractive.

That's what I have done with most of my knives, I don't use stainless other than a pair of " GAK" that I have shortened the blades on for legal EDC.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Just for the sake of the argument I tried the uchiko powder, the same used for polishing katana from rust and dirt. I discovered high carbon steel is SO soft that the light scraping of the uchiko creates abrasion and also mantain the edge of the blade but is probably the worst way of polish

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Just bouncing this thread because I have noticed some orange spots on the blade of my knife, even after gently cleaning it in soapy water. Could this be rust? The knife has barely been used.

I'm thinking of just forcing a patina on this knife right now, but would it be wise to clean it with a scourer first to remove the orange spots?

Thanks!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Sounds like rust ! Did you dry the knife off properly before storing it ? Also make sure the sheath is dry.Clean it off & oil it. If its only fine rust you could probably get away using a cloth with a bit of oil on it just to clean them off. I have never forced a patina on a knife so I cannot comment on that.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Just run some hot water over it and use a washing up sponge with the scouring pad on it. It'll get rid of the orange and leave it dark. Dry it off after and it's good to go. You could also throw some food grade oil on it to prevent rust. Veg oil, walnut, sesame and similar.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks Perrari :)

I dried the knife thoroughly after cleaning, but as I was camping in the rain on Saturday, using it to carve wood and cut up a few onions/tomatoes, I reckon that's what's done it. I did give it a quick wipe on my jeans after each use though.

I'm going to clean it with a cloth and some olive oil (will that oil work?), then soak it in some vinegar for about an hour to force a patina, then hopefully this won't happen again!

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Just run some hot water over it and use a washing up sponge with the scouring pad on it. It'll get rid of the orange and leave it dark. Dry it off after and it's good to go. You could also throw some food grade oil on it to prevent rust. Veg oil, walnut, sesame and similar.

Thanks! I'm going to clean it now.

Is there much point in applying any oil if I'm going to force a patina straight after?

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nope, no point at all mate. Just clean it off, dry it off then smear on some mayo or vinegar or mustard or whatever you want to use. You might well find leaving it overnight works better than an hour. You can keep building it up darker by repeating the process. If you wrap it in clingfilm after you can get some funky effects as well like tiger stripe patinas and petrol in a water puddle rainbow colours and similar.

If you don't like it you can then polish it off with some autosol compound or similar. Have fun! Olive oil will be fine when you've reached your desired patina. Carbon can still rust with a patina so you'll still need to dry it before storing it every time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE