knife made from recycled materials

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
This was a knife making project I did using 95% recycled materials.The dark wood is a bit of driftwood I found on beach I dont know for sure what the lighter wood is!I found it on the street near the railway tracks the railway workers were mulching a big pile of wood grabbed a wee bit think it is tea tree.

I made the blade out of a old English wood chisel and the spacers are cow bone save from the beef stock pot.The sheath was made from a small remnant of leather again found on the side of the road.
IMG_3655.jpg

A wee bit more sanding to do.
IMG_3656.jpg

The blade
IMG_3861.jpg

The sheath and my 70's leather craft book.
IMG_3897.jpg

Homage the the good stuff shop photo

So apart from glue and thread and a bit of leather dye the whole thing is made from recycled materials.I had a lot of fun making this and learn a lot.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It may well be this is the sort of thing we should do more of. This is much more in the spirit of bushcraft, to use what you can find to make something useful with. Well done, it's a great looking knife.:notworthy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
How did you make the blade?
Did you just grind it down, or did you re-temper it?
I'd appreciate it if you could give us some details (and I'm sure one or two others would liek to know as well).
I'm really impressed with people who make their own knives. I can (and have) do it all except the blade - so I'm looking for advice and a simple enough method I can have a go at.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great knife HH,
I like to recycle good steel into knives as well, files, spanners and a pair of hedge shears are among my most recent donor items.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
How did you make the blade?
Did you just grind it down, or did you re-temper it?
I'd appreciate it if you could give us some details (and I'm sure one or two others would liek to know as well).
I'm really impressed with people who make their own knives. I can (and have) do it all except the blade - so I'm looking for advice and a simple enough method I can have a go at.
So this is just my second knife the first one was made use a knife blank.So I dont have a lot of advice to give but here is how things work out.

So I had this old chisel with no handle and looking at it you could see that you dont have to remove a lot of metal to make this into some kind of knife blade.You have a tang you just have to cut it down a bit round off the other end and make one side sharp.

I am set up for wood and leather craft but not metal work.So don't have bench grinder or much in the way of tools for working with metal.I had a go with the old belt and disc sander and found it could remove a fair bit of metal.Made a lot of sparks and took three sanding disks but got there in the end.

The metal was a lot softer easier to work with than a was expecting.Need to hunt down some more materials for the next one.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Now roaming the streets looking for something to use for a blade for my next project.What kind of bit of metel would make good and easy blade?Have some old garden shears but dont now I grind them down with the tools I have.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Now roaming the streets looking for something to use for a blade for my next project.What kind of bit of metel would make good and easy blade?Have some old garden shears but dont now I grind them down with the tools I have.

Old garden shears should make a good blade HH,
If you draw a knife profile over the dismantled blades, and simply grind or cut away anything that isn't knife shaped!
http://www.greenpete.co.uk/?page_id=503
Greenpetes videos show something very similar using an old file - just follow his lead. I'm on my second hedge shear knife, the first was given away a few days ago. An angle grinder or bench grinder should suffice in the absence of a full workshop, and simple heat-treating will work just as well as an expensive set-up.

Any more question, just ask.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Old garden shears should make a good blade HH,
If you draw a knife profile over the dismantled blades, and simply grind or cut away anything that isn't knife shaped!
http://www.greenpete.co.uk/?page_id=503
Greenpetes videos show something very similar using an old file - just follow his lead. I'm on my second hedge shear knife, the first was given away a few days ago. An angle grinder or bench grinder should suffice in the absence of a full workshop, and simple heat-treating will work just as well as an expensive set-up.

Any more question, just ask.

ATB

Ogri the trog
Thanks mate,
A great site just need to save a bit cash to get a second hand angel grinder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE