Knife Law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tombaron

Jun 10, 2005
Ok, so the old debate.

Let's keep it simple. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty regarding the law on knives, 3 inch blade, no locking mechanisms etc.....

The way I understand it (after doing much research) is that if you can prove your 'knife' isn't a knife but is infact a 'tool', then knife laws no longer apply. Therefore your 'tool' can have a very long blade and as many locking mechanisms as necessary because it isn't a knife anymore.

Can anyone confirm this?

leon-1

OK Tom, this is a part of British Blades, in it there are a number of threads that detail the law on knives.

There are a lot of things in law which come down to individual interpretation by those that enforce the law, not your own interpretation, so strictly speaking your interpreatation may seem OK to you, but the policeman that stops you and asks why you are carrying something and then you cannot satisfactorily (sp) justify it to him, may see it in a different light. In that case you will be in the wrong and thus subject to whatever punishment the law can throw at you.

Sorry :(

stormy

Jun 12, 2005
e. sussex
always silly buggers ruining it for everyone else.
they tried to ban cerimonail (terrible spelling there) a while ago.
its not like the people who use these tools for lobbing peoples heads off in tescos (could be a plan though) :D people who use knifes, use them for what they were made for.
banning them wont stop joe blogs from getting one and stabbing an old lady in er.tescos.
its illegal to sell drugs, its doesnt stop people from doing them.
i mean its not like we all wander around with broad swords and a gun strapped to our back on a night out, we carry them because we are doing to use them.
and it doesnt stop there, believe it or not, my man was asked to give in his walking stick at a gig once because it could be used as an offensive weapon.
he is more offensive and dangerous after eating pickeled eggs next to an open campfire.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
< Puts moderators hat on > :D

There is a growing amount of political ranting in reply to posts on the subject of knives and the laws governing them. Whist I realise that this is an emotive subject to many, this is not a forum for political debate.

If you do not have any useful advice or information with regards to the question posted please do not reply simply to air your political grievances.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Tombaron said:
Ok, so the old debate.

Let's keep it simple. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty regarding the law on knives, 3 inch blade, no locking mechanisms etc.....

The way I understand it (after doing much research) is that if you can prove your 'knife' isn't a knife but is infact a 'tool', then knife laws no longer apply. Therefore your 'tool' can have a very long blade and as many locking mechanisms as necessary because it isn't a knife anymore.

Can anyone confirm this?

ANYTHING can be an offensive weapon in law.
The more weapon like it looks/is,the more likely you are to be screwed.

Being sensible as to where/when you carry your tool is the best way to stay within the law,both now and in future.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
Tombaron said:
1. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty regarding the law on knives, 3 inch blade, no locking mechanisms etc.....

2. The way I understand it (after doing much research) is that if you can prove your 'knife' isn't a knife but is infact a 'tool', then knife laws no longer apply. Therefore your 'tool' can have a very long blade and as many locking mechanisms as necessary because it isn't a knife anymore.

Can anyone confirm this?

Retired police officer here.

1. There isn't any uncertainty. The only legal knife for every day carry (EDC) is a slipjoint (i.e. non-locking knife) having a blade with a cutting edge less than three inches long. Examples include non-locking Swiss Army Knives and the Spyderco UK Penknife.

If the blade is capable of being locked, and/or is over three inches long, it is illegal for EDC.

2. I don't understand what you're asking here. I see two possible interpretations of your question:

a) You're referring to multitools, e.g. the Leatherman. If that's the case, normal knife laws apply. See my answer (1) above.

b) You're referring to "tools of the trade." If this is your meaning, you are correct to an extent. If you are employed - for instance - as a ghillie on a Highland shooting estate, you would be lawfully entitled to carry - for instance - a fixed blade skinning knife while engaged in your work on the hill. Clock off at 5p.m. and walk into town with that knife on your belt, and you're breaking the law.

Do not make the mistake of concocting a tale that satisfies you, then convincing yourself it will pacify a police officer. It won't.

maximus otter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE