Knife lanyards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well to each his own (and that is a very nice knife) but personally I wouldn't want to be attached by a piece of cord to a knife. I can see no advantage that would outweigh a potential swinging uncontrollable blade.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Almost impossible for the knife to hit you if attached correctly - look at your own photo - the knife can pivot off the thumb and swing back!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Almost impossible for the knife to hit you if attached correctly - look at your own photo - the knife can pivot off the thumb and swing back!

Sure if my hand stays static and I drop the knife it'd just arc down, but if I need to let to go of the knife moving my hand free is easy and lets the knife drop away from me, I can't see how the same is possible when a lanyard is over your wrist. Perhaps I'd understand if I started off asking what the benefit is of having the lanyard set up as you do? The only advantage I could see would be if you're working somewhere you don't want to lose the knife, over water for example. What else is there to it?

Hoodoo, I like your monkey fists. How the hell do you managed to get the two loose ends as a plain loop with no knots? Do you bury the end within the fist or what? I have one on my firesteel but the fishermans bend kinda ruins the effect IMO,

IMG_6251.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sure if my hand stays static and I drop the knife it'd just arc down, but if I need to let to go of the knife moving my hand free is easy and lets the knife drop away from me, I can't see how the same is possible when a lanyard is over your wrist. Perhaps I'd understand if I started off asking what the benefit is of having the lanyard set up as you do? The only advantage I could see would be if you're working somewhere you don't want to lose the knife, over water for example. What else is there to it?

Hoodoo, I like your monkey fists. How the hell do you managed to get the two loose ends as a plain loop with no knots? Do you bury the end within the fist or what? I have one on my firesteel but the fishermans bend kinda ruins the effect IMO,

IMG_6251.jpg

You add an extra turn and pull it out into a loop. The ends you cut off nearly flush, heat, then smoosh down.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Highbinder,

I use it in several ways. Importantly, the lanyard has a locking bead on it, so I can vary the length.

1) I can lock it and allow myself to choke up on the knife right to the tip but my hand cannot slip off

2) I use it to prevent any chance of my hand slipping forward when boring

3) When I am constantly picking up and putting down the knife (game work) I let the knife hang from my wrist.

I don't use my lanyard for chopping - but I don't chop with this knife anyway - I didn't design it for that purpose

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The lanyard locks the knife into the hand when choking, making it much safer as a heavy handle will always work against you without...

DSC09226.jpg

I have my lanyard threaded through and around on itself, so if you drop the knife or let go, it doesn't swing at all, but halts to a dead stop. There is no chance of the knife swinging back up and hitting you. Well worth it if you have a heavy knife like mine as if dropped it can stick in a foot or leg if standing or sitting.

DSC09227.jpg

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Highbinder,

I use it in several ways. Importantly, the lanyard has a locking bead on it, so I can vary the length.

1) I can lock it and allow myself to choke up on the knife right to the tip but my hand cannot slip off

2) I use it to prevent any chance of my hand slipping forward when boring

3) When I am constantly picking up and putting down the knife (game work) I let the knife hang from my wrist.

I don't use my lanyard for chopping - but I don't chop with this knife anyway - I didn't design it for that purpose

Red

Except for the third point I can do the same with mine. Different strokes and all that, I suppose :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Been playing around with some spare cord today. Managed to make a monkey's first with a loop, but I made it a bit long so had to do a couple of extra larksheads. Quite like it tbh;

farmer.jpg

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
My EDC
(legality be dammned... I think I'll risk the stop and search powers in deepest, darkest Devon)
Fox_Trendy.jpg

2mm leather thongs, anchor splice, double Matthew Walker, beads and stoppers.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Been messing around with a lanyard, and thought Id resurrect this thread, some very fancy rigs on here! :)

Mines a 550 diamond knot which makes an adjustable loop, which slides up and down to the silver german wolfs head.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE