Knife lanyards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I don't use one, they get in the way and are tricky to keep clean if one is dressing game or something similarly mucky.

But having some nicely stored paracord is handy, My 'EDC' a Leatherman Wave has a detachable lanyard ring and I keep some cord on that.

Additionally some of my fixed blades have a short loop of cord tied through the lanyard hole, if I'm working in deep snow I will sometimes attach a length of ribbon on a carabiner to that loop to help find the knife if it is dropped.

Thanks for that link Mesquite, I just made my first diamond knot, most pretty.

:)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for that link Mesquite, I just made my first diamond knot, most pretty.

:)

You're welcome Sandbender :)

It's a handy knot to have as you can use it to make toggles for zips on coats etc so it's easier to open/close them with cold hands or gloves. I seem to remember someone on the forum saying if you're in a cold environment then it's a necessity to have toggles like that as you don't want to be taking your gloves off all the time to do zips up

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is a braided lanyard I got from Schwert. He's does some pretty amazing work.

randys_lanyard1b.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks Mesquite that one looks a bit more impressive :)

I like the braided leather look to Hoodoo :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I just have a simple loop on my knife tied off with a fisherman's bend. Helps pull the knife out (deep pouch sheath), and when the knife is slick I can loop it over my thumb to help lock my grip. It's also not big enough to put my wrist through (which is the daftest type of lanyard I can imagine)

IMG_6249.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I use one everynow and then for extra security when choking up in the wet and it's removeable as I got an extra large lanyard tube to allow multiple strands. Have no idea what the knot is called, but it's like a locked off hangmans noose. It's perfect for getting the length perfect before you lock it permanently.

02Jan2011.jpg

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
and are tricky to keep clean if one is dressing game

I do not like them on my hunting knives, as well. I have only a couple with lanyards. Here is a Victorinox Helmsman I use, along with other marlin spiked folders, when working rope with the Scouts. The main knot is a Bosun's Whistle Lanyard Knot. The two tag ends are finished in Double Overhand knots.

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

Gordy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I do not like them on my hunting knives, as well. I have only a couple with lanyards. Here is a Victorinox Helmsman I use, along with other marlin spiked folders, when working rope with the Scouts. The main knot is a Bosun's Whistle Lanyard Knot. The two tag ends are finished in Double Overhand knots.

Looks like the same knot I posted but with a different name. Does it start off by tying a Carrick bend?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i like leather to go with wood and paracord for the synthetic handles,..

the bead on the little three finger jobby (2nd one down) gives a bit more purchase on the pinkie end of you hand,..and it moves ,...i made it a tight fit on the leather for different grips,...

the 3rd down is a bit of leather glued into a rounded off cube of unknown hardwood ,...

the orange one is an old guy rope off a tent and a bit of "test micarta" i made before the scales,...

i like lanyards for there asthetics as much as their function,...if not more,...

DSC03069.jpg

cheers,...

Stu

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My preferred lanyard is a monkey fist. Just enough to help me pull a knife out of the vertical pocket on my pantleg or from a sheath.

sak_sentinel1b.jpg

calypsojr1b.jpg

Handy for keys as well. Reflective rope can help you find your keys or knife in the dark.

keychain1c.jpg

They make good bookmarks too. :)

monkey_fist1c.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE