Knife Lanyards?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
Having not turned much up on the search (except a bevy of lovely knives with lanyard pins in ;))

Do many people use a knife lanyard?
What is the lanyards purpose?

Personally I carry my Frosts Mora on a belt sheath, was thinking about putting a long-ish lanyard on with a trigger clip at one end to attach the knife itself to my belt.

Probably don't need it but i have spare time, para cord and trigger clips!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use my lanyard as a sort of finger guard .If im using the knife in a way that entails pushing the blade point first I put the lanyard around my hand first ,that way if my hand slips along the handle the lanyard stops my fingers sliding along the blade and causing them to fall off.
Think about boring a hole in a piece of wood the amount of pressure applied aling the spine of the knife is immense and your fingers only need to move along the blade for a short distance and hey presto! nice clean and deep cut to the fingers.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Sometimes a lanyard comes in handy for deep seated pouch sheaths: it makes it easier for the draw.. also, if there's any substantial amount of lanyard material to grab onto, it makes the knife a little more stable in the hand when holding it more toward to butt section (for extending the range of the knife).
...and, in an emergency situation, the lanyard can be unwound for a small amount of 'instant' cordage.;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a lanyard - with a locking loop. I use it when choking up on the knife blade to give a secure grip, when extending the handle for a two finger grip chopping action, locked around the hand for a boring action and many more uses. I even use a wrist lock to save re-sheathing the knife during game work - I can just let the knife "hang" for a moment if necessary. Very versatile and useful in my book. Not conselling others to use them but it works for me

Red

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have tried them on a few knives and besides looking pretty i have never found a use for them :eek:

However i can see the advantage on a deep sheathed knife but thats about it... each to their own :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use a lanyard sometimes, for just the kind of work that BR mentions. It keeps it 'at hand' but not 'in' my hand when I'm doing something, usually foraging fruit sprays like elders, rowans or mistletoe, pruning trees, taking willow or collecting leaves and roots from Flag Iris . Useful in field butchery too on occasion,
I know it kind of breaks the rule about in the hand or in the sheath but it's either that or in and out twenty times a minutes sometimes.

cheers,
Toddy

chris7273

Jan 2, 2008
Belgium
I use a lanyard - with a locking loop. I use it when choking up on the knife blade to give a secure grip, when extending the handle for a two finger grip chopping action, locked around the hand for a boring action and many more uses. I even use a wrist lock to save re-sheathing the knife during game work - I can just let the knife "hang" for a moment if necessary. Very versatile and useful in my book. Not conselling others to use them but it works for me

Red

Same use for me

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
another option is (as may have been mentioned earlier) to make the lanyard loop just big enough to fit one or 2 fingers . similar to the way BritRed locks his loop around the wrist, a shorter lanyard makes it possible to lock in but by using only one or two fingers. This gives just enough lanyard to stay out of the way, and still provide some 'gripping' usefullness.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE