knife handle wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I knocked up a handle for my mora out of some very old mahogany that was kicking about the cellar and encouraged by this (basically I cannot do worse) am about to make myself another knife handle.
To make it more 'me' I want to use some wood from the trees in my garden.
I have two apple and one pear tree that both need a good trimming so I'll have a copious supply of wood soon.
Question is which would be the one to use?
Is it purely down to looks or is there some guidelines?
Also some of the branches do not have leaves on them so I assume that they are dead. Should I use these or give them a miss?
If I do use wood from these trees do I have to leave it for a while to dry out or something?

Brixton said:
I knocked up a handle for my mora out of some very old mahogany that was kicking about the cellar and encouraged by this (basically I cannot do worse) am about to make myself another knife handle.
To make it more 'me' I want to use some wood from the trees in my garden.
I have two apple and one pear tree that both need a good trimming so I'll have a copious supply of wood soon.
Question is which would be the one to use?
Is it purely down to looks or is there some guidelines?
Also some of the branches do not have leaves on them so I assume that they are dead. Should I use these or give them a miss?
If I do use wood from these trees do I have to leave it for a while to dry out or something?
Apple and Pear should both be fine once you've seasoned the wood. I find the easiest way to season the wood is to cut it to about a couple of inches longer than you actually need, strip the bark off and then leave them in a cool dry place with ventilation. I have a set of digital scales that I weigh mine with, once they've stopped losing weight then they are seasoned. I find doing it this way takes about a month or two and then they are ready but that will depend on size. Stripping the bark off first is not only easier, but it enables the wood to loose moisture evenly along the length of the piece rather than just at the end, making it quicker and less likely to split. As for the dead wood, best thing to do with that is split it for kindling for the fire you start to burn off the bits you don't use :D definately don't use it for a knife handle as it will most likely be rotten.

I should point out that my seasoning method is one I've worked out on my own and is definately not the only way to do it, but it works for me.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Brixton said:

Ohh, I love fruit tree wood, especially cherry but apple is very nice too.

Just beacuse a branch is dead doesn't mean it is rotten, do a crosscut and see for yourself. And yes if it doesn't have any leaves it is most likely dead. You could also try to dry fresh wood in a microwave owen.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
tommywidenflycht said:
. You could also try to dry fresh wood in a microwave owen.

How long do you recon for?
I've looked but under the pork-chop, chicken pieces and roast beef section I cannot find the "seasoning apple wood" button :)

Do I go for the till it's stopped losing weight guidelines?

Brixton said:
How long do you recon for?
I've looked but under the pork-chop, chicken pieces and roast beef section I cannot find the "seasoning apple wood" button :)

Do I go for the till it's stopped losing weight guidelines?
That's the best bet, BUT be very careful indeed. I have heard of people getting this technique wrong with quite explosive results as the wood will burn from the inside out. If I was going to use a microwave, I would probably do it for a maximum of 5 seconds at a time and if at any time the wood starts to feel warm to the touch, stop and let it cool right down.

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
One technique I read about for microwaving is 30 second bursts at low power, weighing each time with an accurate scale 0.001g, until it no longer changes weight. Takes about four or five goes, if I remember correctly.

Everywhere I looked on the Net on how to microwave wood, were warnings about how easy it is to set fire to your kitchen, and how hard it is to put out a fire that's buring inside a piece of wood, so be careful!

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
bp1974 said:
how easy it is to set fire to your kitchen, and how hard it is to put out a fire that's buring inside a piece of wood, so be careful!

Now I'm worried
It's a long time since I got my boy scout firemans badge :)
I think I'll give it 5 seconds and then leave it a couple of days
and then if Chez Brix is still standing repeat :confused:

I'll just e-mail Epitaphs-R-Us first

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE