Walnut for logging axe handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Walnut isn't as strong as say hickory or ash, so though it would be OK for a small bushcraft axe, it's unlikely to withstand the repeated shocks of a felling axe. But as always, try it & see, the worst that can happen is it will split. It would be best to use heartwood though if you have it.

K17erz

Feb 23, 2023
Brittany, France
Walnut isn't as strong as say hickory or ash, so though it would be OK for a small bushcraft axe, it's unlikely to withstand the repeated shocks of a felling axe. But as always, try it & see, the worst that can happen is it will split. It would be best to use heartwood though if you have it.
Thank you, I will see what is available. I remember hearing that walnut dust is very unpleasant as well.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Walnut was used for gun stock because it is the lightest of the robust woods.

I never heard of a walnut axe handle and there is surely a reason for it. Axe handles are usually made of ash if not hickory.

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In some species, the early wood and the late wood of each growth ring are layered vessel elements and fibers. One result is that ash, hickory and both red and white oak woods will function almost like leaf springs = tough and elastic with a good rebound.
Not so with walnut. Instead, the wood is described as "diffuse porous" with the vessel elements and fibers mixed during each growing season. Just doesn't have the resilience of those others called "ring porous."
A broken walnut axe handle and you will have a big steel axe head flying in who knows what direction.
Walnut wood isn't toxic so I'd consider making other things such as dishes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE