Knife handle from oak, coins and a lunchbox :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I wanted to become better at making knifehandles, so I bought 5 Lauri blades from brisa to practice with. I made the first one this week, and am quite pleased with the outcome:

DSCF0445_2.jpg

DSCF0444_2.jpg

I am quite pleased with it, but there are a couple of things I want to do differently (read: better) on the next one. One important thing is to polish and sand off the pen-marks on the bolster beforegluing the knife together :banghead:. Another thing is that I want to warm up the epoxy a bit, so that it is easier to fill up the whole slot for the tang. I am not sure if I succeeded in that with this one, and therefore I kind of doubt that it`ll take a lot of abuse in the long run. But I started these 5 blades to learn, and I have learned a lot on #1, so I am a happy chap!

Thanks for looking :)

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Test various thinners with your epoxy. A lot of them mix well with mineral spirits, paint thinner and/or lacquer thinner. Makes a world of difference when trying to get the stuff down in a deep void.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Very nice work goodjob

Test various thinners with your epoxy. A lot of them mix well with mineral spirits, paint thinner and/or lacquer thinner. Makes a world of difference when trying to get the stuff down in a deep void.

Thanks, that's a handy tip to know :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks everyone!

@Tjurved: I used a (battery) hand-drill and some needle files.
@VaughnT: Thanks, that is handy! Will it still set as hard though?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I hope you are right, Albus. I would hate to see this one fall apart.

@titanius: thanks. It is not my first one though. I have rehandled some mora knives before. This is the first of five I want to do to practise handle-making more. :)

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Will it still set as hard though?

I can't speak for epoxies of foreign manufacture, but I've never had a problem with thinners causing a hardening issue. Definitely want to do a test piece first, though. This will allow you to find the right ratio for the thinness you want and see how long it takes to cure. Once the thinner evaporates off, all you're left with is the epoxy, but it might take a bit longer.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I tested it today by carving a little spoon from some sycamore. I think these lauri-blades will be great when I have sharpened them properly, especially since they are less then ten euros per blade. The handle held up well this far, so my epoxy might actually hold :D . I`m enjoying my five-blade project, currently planning the next one.

DSCF0460.JPG

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
There is nothing much wrong with that. If you have ever tried to pull a failure apart you will know that its not that easy all.

Looking forward to the next. I have one of those little lauri blades.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE