Knife gift advice

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm planning to buy a bushcraft knife for my outdoors-mad niece, after talking to her and looking at various options I've narrowed it down to two. I don't want to waste money but neither do I want to skimp on a few tens of pounds over quality kit. The two I'm looking at are the Bushcraft Store Boar and the Timberwolf. She doesn't need a dainty knife, she plays Rugby, weight trains and has hands like shovels. Anyone with knowledge of either or both care to offer an opinion?

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...o2-carbon-tool-steel--curly-birch-12449-p.asp

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/the-timberwolf-bushcraft-knife---curly-birch-3664-p.asp

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I had a look at them when I was in the store on Sunday... both very nice knives.

TBH there's not a lot to choose between them, both would do sterling work.

About the only thing I didn't like with the Boar is the style of sheath that comes with it, I'd probably end up making my own one for it if I were given it.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I have no experience of the knives you mention B in da W.
However, the Helle NyFjording that Turnip has for sale is a fantastic knife for the money.
A step up from a Mora, and as such a very good 'first' proper knife.
Helle heat treatment is spot on, mine has done sterling service in the Scandinavian arctic in both summer and winter.

My best.

Chris.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
She could have something hand made for that kind of money. Would she not want something created just for her than a production model?

Nice thought but it's her birthday in a week so not much time. I was thinking of getting it engraved. Her fiancée is buying her a splitting-axe so it seemed appropriate to add another bladed instrument to the gift pot.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Nice thought but it's her birthday in a week so not much time. I was thinking of getting it engraved. Her fiancée is buying her a splitting-axe so it seemed appropriate to add another bladed instrument to the gift pot.

Fair enough. In which case how about a low volume British made knive? Matt Simmons (Fieldcrafter-UK) is flogging some for £120.00 at the moment and has a small choice of sizes on offer.
[h=1][/h]

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Fair enough. In which case how about a low volume British made knive? Matt Simmons (Fieldcrafter-UK) is flogging some for £120.00 at the moment and has a small choice of sizes on offer.
[h=1][/h]

Thanks for the idea, thought seriously but I was put off those by the review description of 'slim handles' - when I say she's got big hands, I'm 6'6" tall and her hands are bigger than mine.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive not had my hands on them myself but he seems to do different sized knives that are broadly the same style and shape. Why not PM him and explain your situation?

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Paul Baker has a bushcraft knife for sale on his website. had a knife from him before and have always regretted letting it go. one thing to note though is that his grinds are more convex than scandi.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for the idea, thought seriously but I was put off those by the review description of 'slim handles' - when I say she's got big hands, I'm 6'6" tall and her hands are bigger than mine.

I like a knife with a big handle, & find most are on the short side for my tastes, Matts are the first ones i've come across that i've not had to stipulate i need a larger handle. Where are you, if local you can try mine.

Rob

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Being a lass if she has not already told you via unintelligible hints then its best she chose it her self ;)
Maybe a voucher from someone like hillbill for a personalised tool will be the safest option.
I swear my missus should have come with some kind of decoder wheel. 17 years and I still have no clue, but she puts up with me still.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Being a lass if she has not already told you via unintelligible hints then its best she chose it her self ;)

Her intended said she'd dropped a hint or two about the timberwolf - she's not your girly sort of lass, I once saw her punch a roofer who had insulted her fiancée, the only time I've ever seen a man literally punched into the air. He landed like a shot pheasant and lay there for a while.

Top niece.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry meant the maker bud. And Gary does some lovely stuff and is a top bloke to deal with. Has one of my bows too if I remeber rightly.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Cheers, don't know much about the world of knife-making, tend to just use 'em myself.

I was just imagining the look on Em's face if a bloke addressed her as Gary. And the look on his about two seconds later.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd give Mark Hill a pm. He's been known to make knives very quickly when needed. Although I don't have one myself, in the not too distant future I hope too, there is certainly enough positive comments about his work on the forum to instill confidence.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Someone on the forum's offered me an unused Hill instructor knife for what seems a reasonable price, I'm going to check out how well it might be received and let him know in the morning. Not sure about the handle material.

A lot of really good help and advice o this thread, thank you all very much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE