Knife for my wife - please help

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right then gentlemen, I need a UK legal folder for my wife. Nothing expensive, as it will mainly live in the car to help her when she needs to cut things like packaging for food.

The catch, which is why I need the help, is that she most needs the help when she is having an arthritic flare-up (as she is currently). These cause her fingers to literally twist, and she gets severe joint pain. Therefore, the knife must be very easy to open or it won't be suitable. Basically, if you don't think you could open the knife whilst wearing a thick pair of mittens, forget it.

Any recommendations? My knowledge of folders is minimal at best.

(Also posted on British Blades)

Thanks guys.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i would suggest the good old Opinal, when they are dry, as they would be in the glove box, the blades are really easy to open but is she can't grip the exposed blade, a quick tap on the dash boards will expose it enough to get a good hold of it. cheap, simple and dead reliable. i would'nt worry that it is a locker ( twist ring ) as i doubt she'll ever get stopped and searched and the locking ring is easy to use and would be a good safety feature for her, no plod would argue that one.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Devils advocate......

If your good lady needs a knife and has difficulty opening it during an arthritic flare-up, would she be capable of holding it safely enough to use it effectively?

I'd be the last person to say that she should not have any knife she wishes to own, but if it cannot be used safely, then I'd question any exposed cutting edge over - say a pair of scissors or a safety blade!

Ogri the trog

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can't you get those tape cutter things? You know like the seat belt cutters you can get for accidents. Wouldn't that open up packages if your good lady has a bad flare up? I really don't know how bad it gets but would she be safe with an opinel if really bad? I know I manage to cut myself with mine opening and closing it sometimes. My opinel really is stiff though. Carbon blade not the stainless and I forgot about it when I first got it so if needed TLC when I re-found it to even be able to open and close it with a little trouble. Better with use of course.

What about (and forgive be if these are not legal) one of those safety/rescue knives? IIRC there are a few out there with very easy openings and more blunt ends. IIRC Gerber Hinderer is one (not up on my knives just read a few catalogues / websites and have an abstract memory for random things). Isn't there a provision if the knife doesn't have a sharp end? I mean my old whitewater kayaking days I was told one of those river knives with the flattened end (or even the rounded ends) was legal even though large and fixed blade because it had no sharp point and one side with a sharp edge.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the spydercos are very easy to open with either hand or both with the big hole giving good purchase, nice and tactile and stay open as your grip holds the blade open, the frn's in gin1 steel can be just given a wipe of and left in the glove box, come in nice colours and a pretty light though you know its there.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
Does it have to be a folder? A small sheath knife is infinitely easier to operate with gloves on. A little necker for example would live quite happily in the glove box, there's no mechanism to operate or close on your hands and I find they inspire far more confidence than folders, the best of which can break at the joint (that's a personal opinion though.)
I bought my wife a fantastic Victorinox Swiss Army knife because she needed scissors and tweezers more than a blade, but if all you need is a simple cutting edge I would definitely favour a little sheath knife.

ATB,

Josh H

P.S. Check out some of the small EDC knives from Bark River. They punch way above their weight. Had my eye on the Bumble Bee for ages.

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd say Robbi's got it spot on. Any decent copper wouldn't care if your wife had a locking blade to help her safely open her packets/packages.

Svord peasant knife with loose bolts would be good but if her grip isn't particularly strong it might be a wee problem.(£12-£17)

The spyderco edc range are nice and practical but they cost like £40.

A small work knife like a stanley knife or parcel blade would be good and they are very cheap.(£3-£10)

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/-UK-Legal-Carry-Knives/c-1-92-641/ << this is the range of edc knives that HH has to offer, so good choices for you and her to have a look at.

My advice would be for a folder with alot of blade to hold onto when pulling it out and making sure it isn't fiddley to close or unlock.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Harvestman said:
...I need a UK legal folder for my wife. Nothing expensive...

I think a fixed blade might make more sense in this case. Being unable to open a folder would in my book count as reasonable excuse. Of course what counts in my book doesn't actually matter, and if there were a fixed blade knife in the glove box but your wife did not happen to be in the car, things might be looked on differently.

There are several folders which are known for one-handed opening, and I think that I'd go for that kind of thing to be on the safe side. If you get something that locks you can probably remove the locking mechanism, for example you can remove the locking ring from an Opinel.

In my opinion the blade of an Opinel would be awkward for someone with arthritis to grasp, it is very thin and seats quite deeply in the handle, but you could easily solder something to the spine which would make it very easy to open. They are cheap. If you don't think you have the necessary soldering skills I'd be happy to do something for you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When I ache (rheumatoid arthritis) there's no way I can open a stiff knife :( and the opinel with the lock ring is a fixed blade.

The best thing I can recommend, for what you say she needs, is the tiny little keyring spyderco bug.
It's the handiest, most innocuous blade imaginable, but it's just ideal. It opens plastic, frees tags, slices packaging.....and it's less than 4cm long and just hangs on my keyring.
It opens so simply, stays securely open or closed, and I can manage it even when my hands and wrists are on fire and swollen.
It's no toy, it's a very, very good small knife.

Won't break the bank either :D
See Lakeland Bushcraft or Heinie Haynes.

atb,
Toddy

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I first saw the thread title I thought we were in the Swaps section :)
I guess I am obsessed with knives or have been married too long....
Have you thought of "assisted opening" knives - I have a Kershaw recue knife ....blunt tip and glass breaker butt ...which takes minimum effort opening :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a beautiful mother of pearl handled folding knife like that :) but it's so stiff and tight that I struggle to open it even when my hands don't ache. It needs really strong nails.

Ged, the little spyderco doesn't 'lock' it just gently folds open or closed :D Smooth and secure and easy, even with my gloves on :cool:

cheers,
M

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I would get a fixed blade and I'd recommend a Brusletto Spikkekniv or Hallingskarvet.

spikk.jpg

halling.jpg

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
If its just to cut packages for food i would choose a stanley knife, easy to replace blade, easy to open and i can't see a police officer batting a eyelid to it. Carry them daily for work and their great for all sort of things :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE