Knife for my wife - please help

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The bug is very gentle. I think it's called a slipit joint. It's not in anyway hard to open or close, but it feels secure in either position.
A slipjoint is almost impossible to use when my hands are swollen and aching. Any pressure at all just hurts.

Heinie Haynes still have them in stock though Mark seems to be out.
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Spyderco-Bug/p-92-191-3923/

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Id say the easiest knife for her to open would be a friction folder as it gives u a lever to help open it

they come in some pretty colours too! (pink) http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?...&strPageHistory=search&numSearchStartRecord=1

aslong as the hand is keep on the back of the handle firmly it would be perfect, if you fiddle with it and don't (loose bolts) it may close on your digits but with practice opening, closing and using the knife is very safe and simple (one handed too).

The knives are also great for modifying, blade and handles can be changed loads to suit each person.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Friction folders are a bit hit or miss when aching. Grasping anything with any gripping force to open is like stabbing red hot needles into your joints.

The little san ren mu that hatethatgiraffe was selling is also excellent though.

Thing is too, that too many pocket knives now look aggressive, they can *look* like a *knife* :yikes: If it's something discrete and very useful that's needed, they don't always fit the bill.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
The ladybug is very gentle. I think it's called a slipit joint. It's not in anyway hard to open or close, but it feels secure in either position.
A slipjoint is almost impossible to use when my hands are swollen and aching. Any pressure at all just hurts.

Heinie Haynes still have them in stock though Mark seems to be out.
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Spyderco-Bug/p-92-191-3923/

cheers,
Toddy

That's the Bug which is a slipjoint, this is the Ladybug, which has a backlock

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You are quite right :D

The little Bug is the knife I have and would recommend. The backlock....nah, not so much, but the san ren mu one, yes; it's just easy on the hands too :)

It's a slipit joint on the bug right enough though, and since it doesn't lock apparantly it's legal :D

"They have no locking mechanism holding the blade open, relying instead on resistant pressure at the pivot area when the blade is extended and being used. Bugs are part of the SLIPIT group and thus UK legal. " Heinie haynes

cheers,
Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to go with toddy's suggestion of the Syderco Bug as it meets the criteria and she wants a real knife rather than just an opening tool.

Much appreciated all. :) :You_Rock_

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
On a side note it might be worth having a play about with stinging nettles. Stinging the area is supposed to relieve symptoms quite well.
A friend of mine says it works rather well.

Best of luck with the Bug.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE