Knackered kit that you have restored

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I thought it might be an idea for a thread on old/broken/found kit that you may or may not have restored and use today. (probably done before but ah well) Theres a bit of scavenger in all of us that loves to find 'stuff' and put it to use, so lets see your recycled kit!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I found a battered old billhook in an antiques shop in Lewes the other day and have been restoring it by putting a new edge on it and sorting out the handle, I haven't finished yet so will post some pics of the finished product. Here it is when I bought it, it was as blunt as anything.

Bilhook.jpg

Nice idea for a thread as well.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Rehandled and sharpened three old axe heads. I still have the two Kent pattern axes and use them sometimes. The other one, an American pattern, was gifted to a mate.

Various old woodworking chisels and a couple of gouges have been re-sharpened and get used.

Sharpened up an old billhook. It's now a serious user.

Serviced a few old Optimus and Primus camping stoves. They'll be good for another 50 years or so.

I enjoy setting up old bits and pieces

Cheers

Last edited:

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I will post some pics later but I am always on the lookout in carboot sales for good quality antique woodworking tools like Sorby, etc. Still not found a nice Kent axe yet though :(

I have found and sharpened loads of chisels and gifted them or use them and they are so much better than modern shop bought ones. Simply better steel I guess?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Well, so far there was that little throwing hatchet is Sweden;
Before;
bijl1.jpg

and after;
bijl4.jpg

And than there was that battered and abused hatchet I used for gardeningjobs;
bijlaf.jpg

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I have found and sharpened loads of chisels and gifted them or use them and they are so much better than modern shop bought ones. Simply better steel I guess?

We discussed this on the Bodger's website. Concensus was good steel and good manufacture. Most chisels these days are machined from bar stock, and fairly crudely machined at that. Old chisels appear to usually be forged, and well finished from the manufacturer.

I personally also think that there's a degree of 'survival of the fittest' - only the good tools lasted!

Cheers

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Found one of those mini gorillapod clones lying in a stream a week or two back. After removal of the rust with a brush, and the addition of a bit of oil, it seems fine, and fits my camera perfectly.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ronw, how do you go about removing all the black and rusty stuff of an axe? Wire brush and spirits?

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
If you soak the metal in vinegar for a few days the rust dissolves in the acid, then just clean up with wire brush.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Mildly restored this parang, was only ever gonna be a user, but used loads now to good effect, this is it after the blade was straightened, sheath fixed and a good sharpen!

5ec7e928.jpg

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Does my old bicycle I am restoring count as a piece of kit? To me it will be cause it is my main transportation turning it into a camping bike so sort of an ongoing restoration. They aren't restored as of yet but got a couple of axes well axe and a hatchet both Plumbs that I am gonna restore.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Got an old pick hammer in White vinegar for the past 3 days.. I'll check it out and wire brush it later and see what it's like!

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Got a € 1,- small axe at the local boot sale. Was completely rusted, loose head etc.

After some labour I turned it into this and made a sheath for it.

I love doing up old bits like this, I really enjoyed myself working on it. Come next boot sale, I'll get some more axes and fix them up as presents for friends and family.

Bijlrestauratie (1) (Medium) by Thijzzz, on Flickr

Bijlhoes Thijs (1) by Thijzzz, on Flickr

Bijlhoes Thijs (3) by Thijzzz, on Flickr

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Here's the pick hammer I soaked in white vinegar and gave a good wire wire brushing!

CHH1.jpg

It must have been in the mud of my garden for about 20 years or more, it was caked in thick flaking rust and I didn't expect much but it looks great..time for a handle me thinks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE