Kit you keep in the car

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
What kit do you,or could you get away with kept in a car ,I know knives would be bit of a no no,
mines normally in shed or loft,but I'm running out of loft room and stuff in the shed gets rusty,
l am thinking of keeping some in boot of my berlingo for say a weekend away.
i just wouldn't want to come across as looking like a maniac,
i already carry jump leads,traction mats,fag lighter compressor & old hunting spotlight :rolleyes:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
At the moment ( well since the start of the new year ) I've been working around the Midlands, living and sleeping in my car so I'm carrying a full mix, could ground dwell or hang as well if location suited.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have just put together a 10 litre kit in a cheap back pack. Everything needed for at least a couple of days if the worst should happen bar an Ice Age!

1bd783c9247b79897c1ce0145698d718_zpsbbc70fcb.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think we've already got a thread going. But what I keep in the truck:

-a small daysack packed with the following:
--2 canteens full of water
--1 canteen cup
--Compass
--matches in waterproof matchbox
--an MRE
--short fixed blade knife (4')
--Esbit stove and fuel bars
--poncho
--sierra cup
--mini binoculars
--paracord
--minimag flashlight
--small tarp
--micro towel

Elsewhere in the truck:
--folding shovel
--larger fixed blade knife or machete
--handgun and spare ammo
--Buck knife
--blanket
--telescoping fishing rod and tackle
--full sized binoculars
--more MREs
--tow strap
--full sized Maglite
--a couple of small hammocks
--1st aid kit

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
There's enough raisins and haribo down the back of the seats in our Zafira to feed an army of toddlers!

I just make sure I've got a FAK, torch, phone, functional spare and manufacturer's tools.

I will make up a winter kit before next winter with snow socks, shovel and warm gear.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the back of the van I carry pretty much a full set of camping kit from tarp to spare pants and socks, by way of Rat pack and stove, sleeping bag (pile fibre), kip mat et al.
Then there is spare fuel, mega 1st Aid kit, jumps, compressor, jack, spare wheel, triangle etc.
My van is fully decked out with insulation and I have spent many a happy night in the back when I did not want to pay B&B rates for lumpy campsite accommodation! I even have a mini spirit level to get things nice and level fo a good nights kip :)
The first van I tricked out was described by the Sunday Times Colour Supplement magazine (in 1999) as "A Mobile Survival Unit" - my current van follows in its predecessors' tyre tracks :)

handgun and spare ammo

do you keep them locked/hidden?! i imagine someone breaking into your car and taking off with your firearm could cause a lot of trouble for you...

i have no car by myself- just a pushbike- but usually i keep my toolbelt on me (either on person or daypack), EDCshoulder bag and -IMPORTANT to remind cars of the "150cm minimum when overtaking bikes""rule!- walking cane, sometimes a daypack, too...
when i drove around OZ for 2years i somehow managed to cram enough gear, weaponry (spears from my time spent with aborigines), fuel and food into a ""ford festiva"" to supply a small army and still have enough space for myself....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
do you keep them locked/hidden?! i imagine someone breaking into your car and taking off with your firearm could cause a lot of trouble for you.......

I keep the gun within reach so I can easily draw and fire it. That's the point of having it (because when buckled in, it's hard to draw my primary gun) The spare magazine is also within reach. And yes, they're concealed; just like the one I wear.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I keep the gun within reach so I can easily draw and fire it. That's the point of having it (because when buckled in, it's hard to draw my primary gun) The spare magazine is also within reach. And yes, they're concealed; just like the one I wear.

Your post reminded me of an American on another forum who carries a Glock in a shoulder holster and a Colt revolver in a hip holster...even when going to Church.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Your post reminded me of an American on another forum who carries a Glock in a shoulder holster and a Colt revolver in a hip holster...even when going to Church.

LOL. I don't wear one IN church; but I do carry to and from. So do some of the pastors (the local Lutheran pastor comes to mind)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Got torch, sunscreen, insect repellant, and a plastic cutlery set. FAK, and a czech army bedroll on the back seet. Folding army shovel in the boot. Wife keeps an old wool blanket in there too.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
stove for a brew?

Yep. The esbit stove listed in the small daysack. What I forgot to list though is the brew makings (a few packets of instant coffee, tea bags, sugar and artificial sweeteners, whiteners, etc)

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Esbit stove for me too. Got a full complement of esbit tabs but can also use wood in a pinch!

Still waiting for for me Maize to arrive to parch it and put in my kit! Will add a brew up kit though!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Apart from the kit that's required by law, generally nothing really now.
In the summer a couple of big bottles of water.

Used to have a boot full of stuff but it was never used so.................

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep. The esbit stove listed in the small daysack. What I forgot to list though is the brew makings (a few packets of instant coffee, tea bags, sugar and artificial sweeteners, whiteners, etc)

You need to upgrade your stove, Esbit's are toys...get a little Coleman and a bottle of fuel at minimum:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE