Kit review - Crusader Cooker and Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

RAPPLEBY2000 said:
my local surplus shop "Hoopers"(Norwich) sells,
what looks like the 85 pattern mug
(with the wiggly sides and plastic rim the same size as the 58 mug),

on the inside of the mug (every one i've looked at) is a sticky substance like a stcky grease! :yikes:

is there anyway of telling if they are the real deal?
if it's said they aren't made anymore :?:

talking about paints and teflons....for the outside of mugs and cookers is it worth using a fireplace paint?
they sell some paint in DIY stores that withstands the heat of a coal fire! which you will agree is a little hotter than the hexi cooker!

what do you think, for a quick black finish that will clean more easily?
(obviously not for inside the cup! :shock: )

by the way,
obvious but not sure if it's been mentioned"black"soaks up heat far quicker than shiny metal, so even if your shiny stainless steel pot is spotless a dirty one (on the outside!) will get hotter alot quicker! :wink:

Rich, I would steer clear of them if I was you, firstly the plastic rim has a tendency to melt, secondly the plastic rim tends to hold bits of foodstuff causing a bacteria hazard.

On my old 85 pattern, I ditched the plastic rim and taped it instead (if you don't you can end up with bits of your lips stuck to your mug), this also takes a lot of maintenance, but at least it does not weld to the mug leaving gaps.

The flared lip on the crusader is designed to dissipate heat so you can drink from it without melting your lips to the rim.

If you wish to make it black then use light coatings of vegetable oil on the outside of the mug and heat it, eventually it will leave a pretty good black coating on the cup, but it will smoke like hell whilst you are doing it :)

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
come on leon admit it you just can't be bothered with cleaning your old oily smoke stained mug(admin!!) and wouldn't your brew taste pretty foul afterwards? :nono: :naughty:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
406_0699_1.jpg

Got mine and been playing with it today.
I always hated Hex and this is a vast improvement IMO.
I only made a few brew's with it and havn't had time to cook anything but it seems like good kit :eek:):

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
rapidboy said:
Got mine and been playing with it today.
I always hated Hex and this is a vast improvement IMO.
I only made a few brew's with it and havn't had time to cook anything but it seems like good kit :eek:):
Have you had a bit more time to play with this set up RB ? Anyone else have any tips to add..?
I have one but yet to give it any real time outdoors.

Cheers :biggthump

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I shoot at my FT club every Sunday and it all fit's into the side pocket of my gun case.
I brew up at least once ,mabe twice going around the coarse and it's great.
I have heated soup and beans on it at work a few times but nothing more extravagant yet.
It's good ,simple ,reliable kit.

rb

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
I use an american mug same shape and it fits into the swedish army trangia well. Pack a bit of tin foil (to use as a lid) and you have an extra pan for the swedish kit. On its own the crusader is only good for a boil of whatever takes your fancy, noodles etc. The crusader is not a realistic replacement for a stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE