Kit review - Crusader Cooker and Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Hmmm, Teflon in it's pure form is a white, waxy solid. The get it to stick to a pan and so on by first sandblasting the surface and then applying a coat of Teflon primer, which is then baked. A Teflon coat is then applied (which will stick to the primer) and the whole thing baked again. The coating on a Crusader mug looks a lot like paint to me and very little like Teflon (take a look at a Teflon pan and the Crusader mug). The surface certainly doesn't feel waxy (like the base of a Teflon pan) and the whole mug, wire handles included, seem to have a uniform coating. Why coat the handle in Teflon?

I think I'm happier to think of it as not being Teflon anyway given the fact that it can decompose into some nasty corrosive chemicals in high heat. Not a problem with hexy but might be with a camp fire!!!!

As an aside, these nasty chemicals are present in many rubbers after fires which make digging under car bonnets after a fire dangerous - I know someone who had a finger amputated after being exposed to hydrogen fluoride.

T

Tumper

heated above 600c teflon can be VERY dagerous stuff...at a certain temperature it will give of a gas that is a nerve agent.

Thats why genuine teflon coated cookware has warnings not to put in modern ovens that have a 'self clean' function.

Wouldnt worry too much 'tho....the teflon on cookware is mindboggling thin. hardly anything of it.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
It's thin but I have heard a genuine story of a death from allowing PTFE coated product to overheat in an oven. You cannot underestimate the power of phosgene, hydrogen fluoride and other fluoro-compounds. And when they tell you to wash Teflon products before use, they aren't kidding either because the precursor chemicals aren't good for a body either ...

T

Tumper

I think the danger first became apparent in the states when the early use of teflon was not so well applied. IIRC a doctor was painting his boat with teflon impregnated paint, and smoking at the same time. A flake of the paint hit the tip of his cigarrete, and when inhaled, he dropped dead on the spot!

I read this in a quality journal, possibly the new scientist, but I honestly cant remember the details.

Cookware is totally safe if used with sense.

Back to the crusader cook set....I've seen a few micro alcohol stoves made from the small tins used for some proccesed meats etc; do you think one of these could be made which would fit in the base?

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Just thought I would add that the patten time on Duponts Tefflon has ran out. So other companies are making their own. The Tefflon name is of course still a registered trademark of Dupont only. The tefflon type coating on saw blades such as Frued looks like paint, but is their own formula.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Got my Crusader cooker today and some Greenheat - time for a play!

First impressions of the cooker at that it's a well made bit of kit. The main problem with hexy is that the cooker allows the air to get at the flame too much and blows it everywhere and this should be more efficient with hexy. I do wonder how less efficient Greenheat fuel is and how much the increased efficiency of the cooker has to do with that but it's lightweight, should be easy to light and seems foolproof.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
If my house insurance bloke sees the amount of hexy and Greenheat lying about in here my premiums are going to triple.

Without going into the details too much, I can see a use for Greenheat but won't be converting to it on a full time basis.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Great Pebble said:
If my house insurance bloke sees the amount of hexy and Greenheat lying about in here my premiums are going to triple.

Without going into the details too much, I can see a use for Greenheat but won't be converting to it on a full time basis.
:rolmao: :burnup:

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
One of the big gripes with hexi was that most of the heat / flame went up around the outside of your messtin, losing half the energy and making twice the mess

With the crusader there is no flame outside the unit

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
my local surplus shop "Hoopers"(Norwich) sells,
what looks like the 85 pattern mug
(with the wiggly sides and plastic rim the same size as the 58 mug),

on the inside of the mug (every one i've looked at) is a sticky substance like a stcky grease! :yikes:

is there anyway of telling if they are the real deal?
if it's said they aren't made anymore :?:

talking about paints and teflons....for the outside of mugs and cookers is it worth using a fireplace paint?
they sell some paint in DIY stores that withstands the heat of a coal fire! which you will agree is a little hotter than the hexi cooker!

what do you think, for a quick black finish that will clean more easily?
(obviously not for inside the cup! :shock: )

by the way,
obvious but not sure if it's been mentioned"black"soaks up heat far quicker than shiny metal, so even if your shiny stainless steel pot is spotless a dirty one (on the outside!) will get hotter alot quicker! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE