kit list help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
hi guys as a newbe i am putting together my kit list on what to by
so far this this is the list.

tools:
knife * (clipper)
saw
axe

cooking:
stove
pots
mug
utensils

sleeping:
tarp
sleeping bag*
sleeping mat
bivvi
cordage

fire:
matches*
lighter*
fire steel rod

clothing:
boots
tops*
bottoms*
water bottle
first aid
head light

all the stuff with stars next to them I now have, all the other stuff I need help and advice on what I should get.
all help will be grateful :)
sj

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
For headlight I would get an appoint gamma. For boots a pair of walking boots from mountain warehouse will suffice. First aid would probably be good to have a adventure medical kits one. For a fire steel get a LMF army. You can't beat 'em. Just get a cheap kit to start with. For cooking you might want to think of a trangia. Pots and pans all in one and very economical to run. Water bottle and good army one like the bcb or the us army one is a great addition.
Do not use this a fixed guide. Just adding my two cents to the mix. Good luck with your search.
Jacob

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Following on from your list i will add my opinion..

tools:
knife * (mora clipper)
knife sharpener - DC4
saw - bahco laplander
axe - not needed as a beginner, get to know the knife and saw

cooking:
stove make yourself a hobo stove or a flat packing wood burning stove would be my choice. Also add a trangia burner if no fires
pots - Alkit MyTiMug/MSR Titan kettle if lightweight or Zebra billy can and crusader cook set if weight can be higher
mug - Crusader mug in cook set above- dump the plastic one and just use the BCB
utensils - Titanium spork, sporks are great but not plastic ones!!

sleeping:
tarp - something around 3x3m will be great- shop around for the best price
sleeping bag*
sleeping mat - self inflating mat, Thermarest are good but Multimat are good and normally cheaper
bivvi - British army goretex bivy bag
cordage - Paracord

fire:
matches*
lighter*
fire steel rod - Lightmyfire Army/Strike force
tinder kit - in dry bag, cotton balls in vaseline, dryer lint, birch bark etc

clothing:
boots
tops*
bottoms*

water bottle 58 pattern from the crusader cook set
first aid - any trusted kit but know how to use it!
head light/torch - Petzl are good head torches

Would also add..
Dry bags
Homemade toilet/wash kit

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your new to this I'd say take a small tent instead of a tarp, nothing worse than shelter failure and getting cold and wet. Use the tent until you can rig a tarp in your sleep.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
If your new to this I'd say take a small tent instead of a tarp, nothing worse than shelter failure and getting cold and wet. Use the tent until you can rig a tarp in your sleep.

Good advice :)

or get familiar with the tarp, go on day trips but set up as if staying out, try it in all sorts of weather too :D

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
A Swiss army knife to add to the clipper. For matches and lighter I'd use a wheeled flint type lighter as it'll spark even if the fuel leaks out and don't bother with waterproof matches - good old swans in a waterproof bag will do. You have other lighting methods and if they are looked after you're not that likely to get them wet.

Tops - good woolen jumper and a poly cotton shirt. Bottoms - poly cotton trousers. For these go off to your neared surplus shop. In fact if you go there they may do something good in the way of sleeping bag. Don't know London so perhaps somebody else can recommend a shop.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Have you got something to put all this gear in ?......I didn't see a rucky mentioned,
Rik's suggestion about using a tent for first timers is a good one, ....even for ol' timers it's great to be able to get out of the wind & rain.:D

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Set of waterproofs are a must [however short your trip is, no matter how nice the weather looks] cheap set which packs down small. I like the idea of ponchos but I've never got on with them due to excessive flapping in high winds and getting snagged on branches etc. It's not just for rain their good at stopping wind too.

Compass not completely necessary as you can navigate using different clues but it is good to have one...

gloves

sun hat & warm hat

Binoculars? I've found a small pair [not expensive or high end] but if there's 'something over there' you can sit down and watch it for a while:)

Red Five

Jun 3, 2011
Birmingham
I've bought a variety of water bottles and cups. Ranging from a US army 1 quart bottle with stainless steel cup, the Pattern 58 bottle with Crusader cup to a Nalgene 1 litre Tritan bottle with AlpKit MyTiMug. Of the three my favourite is the US army 1 quart bottle with cup and cover which is unfortunate because it was the cheapest of the three! I got one for £14.95 (the same a Crusader cup on it's own!) here http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/us-water-bottle-stainless-steel-mug--pouch-2008-p.asp

For cooking I've got a Trangia burner and a Honey Stove http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product397.asp?PageID=118 which gives you options in terms of fuel and usage. I've got a Zebra 12cm billy can that can be used on the Honey stove or on a camp fire. At £13 it's cheaper than the MyTiMug but much heavier (550g vs 110g).

As for a First Aid Kit, I'd recommend doing a First Aid course and building your own kit. Failing that a kit bought from Poundland will cover the basics.

My sleep mat is an Airo 180 from Alpkit http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16531&category_id=253 for £40 and weighs 650g. It takes a bit of time and lung capacity to fully inflate, it's only comfy if you make the effort!

I've also got a Thermarest profile plus 3/4 that I haven't used yet. It weighs in at 320g but cost £75.

I hope this helps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE