Kit List for West Highland Way @ End of April

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On a serious note Dunk, if I was you I would get a 2-man bothy shelter, they are very lightweight, take up no room at all and only cost about £30.
Ideal for if your caught out in bad weather or if you have no available cover you can sit inside it and brew up/have your lunch.

Here's an example:

http://www.maps-warehouse.co.uk/terranova-bothy.html

Good luck on your exped, its a beautiful walk, I did when I was 14yrs old and still remember it now.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
You really need to keep an eye on the weight, so I agree with those who have said to buy food as you go. I walked from Sandwood bay up near Cape Wrath down to An Teallach last year (end April - best time!). I tried to cut weight to the bone, but had to carry 7 days food, as there are no shops up there. My food weighed in excess of 7 kg, and that was on the basis of highly calorific and weight saving dried foods. If you are carrying that much food and two litres of water, you are at over 9kg. Add in your rucksack at 2-3 kg and you have 11-12 kg without anything else!

I saved weight by using a space blanket as a groundsheet (80 grammes, but you have to be careful as flimsy), with no bivvy bag, but a tarp. I pitched the tarp using two carbon fibre walking poles from Alpkit, only 400 ish grammes for the pair, and very cheap (for carbon fibre). Ultralite pegs can also save a bit. A spare tarp is a luxury you don't need! I don't see why you would need an emergency bothy either if you are already carrying a tarp and bivvy bag. It's either/or in my opinion.

My advice is to look long and hard at everything, and see if you can make items perform more than one job, and whether something is really necessary. For example, biodegradable camping soap can wash dishes as well as being used for clothes, shampoo and skin!

Most people also carry too many changes of clothes. The caveat is that in April you could have glorious sunshine, or torrential rain or even snow, so you need to be sure you cover the bases. A decent set of merino wool base layers would help (and won't smell after a week, saving carrying too many spares), while a warm hat, gloves, and waterproofs are essential.

Enjoy! I'll be up there again this year at the same time as you, so I hope you get good weather...

PS last year the sun beat down for 7 days - unheard of - and we got burned. Take sunglasses and a lightweight cotton sun hat, and suncream. Seriously! My friends had to wear zip off trouser legs on their heads to keep the sun off as they didn't have hats.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Good point Wink, I forgot to mention in my suggestions a light hat, cap or similar with a brim or peak, as at that time of year you're as likely to get glorious sunshine as you are snow - Scotland eh!?!?! :lmao:

On the groundsheet note, I only ever use one if I'm in a longer term camp 2-3 days. On overnighters I just rely on my bivi and rollmat. A spaceblanket is still a good lightweight addition to your PSK.

On the food note, I too would be reluctant to carry food for 7 days on that route, instead I'd pack some snacks and perhaps 2 - 3 days worth of something like Pasta'n'Sauce, which is light, easy to make up, and doesn't take up too much space but will fill you up if you don't make it to shops for a few days. When I'm out for a while I usually carry jerky or a salami/peperoni too. Last time I was out camping I took a few packets of Ainsley Harriot's Cous-cous with me which were really tasty and so simple to make, just add boiling water and maybe a splash of olive oil. Great if you are in need of a meal but too tired to do much. I also took a couple of these as a treat ... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/reviews/cooking---food-and-drink/look-what-we-found---gourmet-meals.html

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
ok so it's 3 weeks before my trip and i think im ready!!!

heres my revised kit list....

i won't be taking 7 day food now...

what sort of maps shall i use? i have one that came with my WHW guide but theres not much on it, shall i go for OS maps or Harveys? whats your thoughts...

sleep/shelter:

sleeping bag 4 season
goretex bivi bag
roll matt
tarp
pegs

cooking:

trangia + fuel
spork
3/4 days food

clothing:

goretex coat + trousers
gaiters
longjohns
2 t-shirt
1 jumper
1 shirt
2 trousers
underwear
socks
wooly hat
gloves
boots

tools:

knife
laplander
headlamp

water:

2 pattern 58 water bottles [2x1ltr]
pre-mac water filter

personal:

roll-on
soap
sponge
toothpaste + brush
foot powder
towel
midge spray

other:

maps + cover + compass
mobile phone
PSK
FAK
SAS pocket guide
food for free pocket guide

thanks

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Good luck on your trek Dunk :)

Weight is the thing I'd advise against, I carried all that I needed in a 40 liter rucksack, sadly I didn't note down the weight at the time, however it wasn't much.

I have walked the route twice, in April and October.

I wore a Buffalo windshirt, it kept me warm (but not dry) in some fairly extreme conditions, I had a swazi shirt for wearing at night or for when I popped in to a bar for dinner. For trousers I wore something by Rohan, I had two pairs one for walking one for wearing under the tarp.

Walking poles are definitely a good idea, it can be a bit muddy and slippery under foot.

Also think about a pair of super lightweight sandals, because if (when) your boots are wet, its nice to have something else to put on your feet when your in a bothy or working around your camp.

i won't be taking 7 day food now...
Good, there are no days when you will be too far away from a purveyor of sticky toffee pudding and porridge

what sort of maps shall i use?..
I managed fine with the basic route map/guide

sleep/shelter:

sleeping bag 4 season
goretex bivi bag
roll matt
tarp
pegs
4 season = good a dry and cosy sleeping bag is always a good idea :)

cooking:
A lot of weight here, perhaps leave some of the trianga set behind, what about a lightweight gas stove and small canister? You will be able to buy food as you travel, I'd carry a days full rations no more"
trangia + fuel
spork
3/4 days food

clothing:

goretex coat + trousers
gaiters
longjohns
2 t-shirt are these cotton? chuck em, you'll freeze
1 jumper
1 shirt
2 trousers
underwear
socks lots of socks, your socks will get wet, if t rains :) (it will) you won't be able to readily dry them
wooly hat Take a hat for sunny weather (you never know :)
gloves
boots

tools: Do you really need a saw? Do you mean a bushcraft knife? how much do you think you will use it? and where?

knife
laplander
headlamp

water: If its hot, 2 litres isn't really enough for the longer stretches, what about a water bladder? more water and less weight

2 pattern 58 water bottles [2x1ltr]
pre-mac water filter

personal:

roll-on :) just dunk yer heid and oxters in the water :)
soap Its a seven to eight day walk, cut your bar of soap in half
sponge
toothpaste + brush
foot powder
towel
midge spray

other: How much surviving will you need to do, leave the PSK, take one book only :)

maps + cover + compass
mobile phone
PSK
FAK
SAS pocket guide
food for free pocket guide

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'd ditch the soap and detergent and get a bottle of all purpose biodegradable wash liquid, you can use it for hair, stuff you eat off and everything in between.

Try and make one pair of trousers zip-offs. Personally if it's pissing down but not too cold I prefer to wear shorts - easier to dry legs than clothes.

I'm assuming the sponge is for washing - I would ditch it and take one of those pom pom things that girls use instead - they rinse and dry more easily, and get a better lather from soap, making it last longer

I normally ditch the roll-on and embrace the sweat as well - I find that if I use roll-on I sweat more in other, more sensitive places that rub together and get chafing.

Oh yeah, vaseline or body glide or similar, just in case any parts of your anatomy have a habit of rubbing together.

I would also get rid of the saw, take one good fiixed blade and dump the PSK

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
you've got quite a lot of kit mate. you've got 4 pairs of long let 'coverings'. one pait of trousers is enough with waterproofs and long johns. Your waterproofs are another pair and if you're cold put on your long johns

the trangia is quite heavy - try a canister stove.

do you need the saw?

do you need both books, weight soon adds up

going bushcrafting i go heavy. if i was going walking i'd be going as light as possible. your kit list is good but you'll probably realise you've taken too much stuff.

sorry, i'm not trying to sound negative, but going lightweight has helped me so much when doing a little walking here and there

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
thanks for all the advice!!!
5 days to go!!!!

i've really stripped down to the bare minimum now...

what about fishing along the way?
i have a really light setup that i could take and it not heavy at all!!!
is it worth it? are there many places to fish apart from Lomond?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
http://duncanalexander.blogspot.com/
i'll be trying to update this each day during my trip via my phone [depending on reception].
if not i'll update when i get back

thank you everyone for all the hints tips advice etc...

Dunk has posted several photos on his blog so far, looks like he was having a fairly wet time, sadly he now reports that he has twisted his ankle and must return home.

http://duncanalexander.blogspot.com/

Duncan, if you get a chance to read this before you unpack, weigh your gear, it may be useful for future readers to know how much you were carrying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE