Kit List for West Highland Way @ End of April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
I'm planing to walk the WHW at the end of april.
North to South
7 steady days
wild camping every night with bivi bag/tarp
carrying everything inc food etc...
Would just like your advice as to what kit i should be taking.
Thanks for the advice in advance!!!

Dunk

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Midge net, you have picked a good time to do it. The price of beer in the pubs in Kinlochleven is not cheap. :eek:

Oh and water proofs.:rolleyes:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The main thing I'd say is layer up and be prepared for rain, a lot of rain. I'd also recommend a couple of pairs of these ...

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/prod5.asp?prod_id=8161&id=189

... rather than waterproof boots as boots take longer to dry out and waterproof ones take forever if you get water in over the top. At least with these you know your feet will stay dry even if you step in a bog that's halfway up your calf. A pair of warm woollen socks under these and you will have dry and toasty feet.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
basic kit list [will be updated after feedback]

sleep/shelter:

sleeping bag 4 season
goretex bivi bag
roll matt
tarp

cooking:

trangia + fuel
knife
fork
spoon
7 days food
washing up liquid + scourer

clothing:

goretex coat + trousers
longjohns
2 t-shirt
1 jumper
1 shirt
2 trousers
underwear
socks
wooly hat
gloves
boots
light trainers

tools:

knife
laplander
headlamp
torch
batteries
spare tarp [lightweight]

water:

2 pattern 58 water bottles [2x1ltr]
aquaclear tablets [i want the filter that goes on the bottle]

personal:

roll-on
soap
sponge
toothpaste + brush
foot powder
towel
midge spray

other:

maps + cover
compass
mobile phone
PSK
FAK

i'm sure theres lots missing

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think they`ll be chance to get food on the way rather than pack 7 days worth from the off. That`s my plan anyway, just trying to sort out where this can be done.

Some sealskinz socks or goretex equivalents would be a good addition too.

Rich

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
I think they`ll be chance to get food on the way rather than pack 7 days worth from the off. That`s my plan anyway, just trying to sort out where this can be done.

Some sealskinz socks or goretex equivalents would be a good addition too.

Rich

I'm looking for some new boots that are water proof and come way up my legs. dunno yet tho.. i've been using the same army issue para boots for 10 years and theve never failed me yet. i want to be sure tho as i have bad feet anyways without them being bloody wet for a week.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
A couple of thoughts, sorry if all of this is obvious...

Personally, I would be tempted to swap out the spare tarp for a poncho which can double up as either a windbreak, shelter, waterproof upper or even a sleeping bag cover.

I'd also use a midge lotion rather than a spray, takes up less space, gives more accurate coverage. Also if it's DEET based you can dab it on any ticks you pick up to encourage them to detach. I'd also strongly recommend you take up Angus Og's advice and get a midge headnet, you'll look like an idiot, but you'll be glad of it when all around you are screaming in frustration from the clouds of demonic beasties.

I've seen laminated versions of the WHW route map somewhere, you might want to think about that.

Also think about walking poles, they do make a big difference and you can use them to pitch your tarp if you find yourself having to make camp where there are no obvious trees or structures to tie off to.

Make sure you've got zinc oxide tape or Compeed plasters for blisters and blister-prevention in your FAK.

Aquaclear tabs are good, I think they taste foul though. Boiling water from clear, fast running sources is my preferred method. If you can get/afford a Pre-mac (there was a group buy touted on here late last year) they are very good too.

Oh and don't forget to pack some cordage, paracord or the like.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you can get/afford a Pre-mac (there was a group buy touted on here late last year) they are very good too.

That was me :D
I'll bring it back to life somewhere around Valentinesday (easy to remember) - so there should be plenty of time to get one well before you'll leave for Scotland Dunk (if you wish to go for one that is of course).

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
That was me :D
I'll bring it back to life somewhere around Valentinesday (easy to remember) - so there should be plenty of time to get one well before you'll leave for Scotland Dunk (if you wish to go for one that is of course).

Is that the one that attaches to the pattern 58 bottle and u pump it?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
when I did it we restocked on food at Crainlarach.
I'd advise a pair of lightweight fabric boots with good shock absorbing soles for the WHW.
Although it can be wet, you will spend a lot of time walking on roads/hard surfaces.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Headnet is good idea but you may not get any at that time. Wind and rain is gonna be your enemy. Don't be afraid to kip at 'shielings', railway - arches, bridges, workmens huts -or under a ski tow/tower especially when away from the tree line after Bridge of Orchy. B of Orchy to Kinlochleven is the 'commiting bit' as less shelter. Only take a few days food as Drymen, Bamaha, Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Kinlochleven all have places to buy food. Use the Rowchoish (tricky to find bit scrambly) Doune bothies.

Enjoy

Nick

H

He' s left the building

I would really avoid carrying more than two-days food, unless you are trying to be really self-sufficient.

The reason I say this is that food tends to be approx 1kg per day, and I'm 100% sure you will thank me after the trek for reducing your food-bag from a start weight of 14kg down to 4kg throughout !!

The route itself tends to pass by shops and pubs who cater for the trekkers coming past; it would take an iron will (or a masochist?!) to pass by home-made buns/pub-lunch every other day. Often you may want to drop in one of them to get the weather report and other local snippets, so you may find yourself buying tea/coffee and buns even though that wasn't your original intention.

As well as the other advice here, I would say be ruthless with your pack-weight and try to keep your walking speed at a slow and steady plod to avoid burn-out on day 2 or 3.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
It should also be noted that the Scottish Six Day Trials start on the weekend before the May day holiday(5th May). Lots of motor bikes use the assess road to the Blackwater dam for this, which means from the top of the penstock were the pipes start heading down to Kinlochleven and other bits as well.

And then the real trials start for a week.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
basic kit list [will be updated after feedback]

sleep/shelter:

sleeping bag 4 season/ Take a 3 season bag you can always put on the longjohns and jumper if cold
goretex bivi bag/ will add to the sleeping bags warmth.
roll matt
tarp

cooking:

trangia + fuel
knife
fork
spoon
7 days food
washing up liquid + scourer

clothing:
midge head net
goretex coat + trousers
longjohns
2 t-shirt
1 jumper
1 shirt
2 trousers
underwear
socks
wooly hat
gloves
boots
light trainers

tools:

knife
laplander
headlamp
torch/ ditch it sun sets about 9:00pm that time of year and rises about 5:30am
batteries
spare tarp [lightweight]/ poncho

water:

2 pattern 58 water bottles [2x1ltr] litre of water weighs 1kg.
aquaclear tablets [i want the filter that goes on the bottle]

personal:

roll-on
soap
sponge
toothpaste + brush
foot powder
towel
midge spray

other:

maps + cover
compass
mobile phone
PSK
FAK

i'm sure theres lots missing

I agree about the food buy as you go and the poncho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE