Kit list for first overnight in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all for your feedback, always reassuring to know what others think and I know people on here like to read about a kit list! I'll get some piccies up when I've done my trip.

Jura by the way is a tipple that I will recommend to anyone. I'm no connoisseur but not many whiskies go down smoother than jura!

Would love to hear how others have got on with the lk35 rucksack, its a new purchase for me, a bargain at 14.99 and cant wait to put it to good use (up until now my camping has always been car based and at campsites!)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,
Well after posting up my kit list a while ago, I've just completed my first overnighter in a local wood and thoroughly enjoyed it. I accompanied a couple of other members of this forum (sorry, can't remember their forum names!) and was very grateful for their wisdom. Of course seeing their kit and setup has meant that I returned home with a lengthy wish list but on the whole I think the kit list that I posted below performed admirably.

I do however have a confession to make! I swapped out the Czech bedroll for a new 3 season bag from Mountain Warehouse. This was simply because it weighed a ton and took up most of the rucksack. The new SB was good although it was a warm night so not really tested in terms of warmth, I'd be confident to use it throughout the autumn though, but not sure about the winter. In terms of the rest of the kit, I used everything on the kit list and didn't really want for more so I'd say that was a success. There was just two downsides; the ex army kit weighed several tonnes! (No surprises really) and my budget self inflating mat wasn't the most comfortable. It was only 2.5cm thick so I think I need something thicker? I've since seen a 3/4 length mat at go outdoors which is 4cm thick and about £20 so might look at that. I'd welcome your opinions on a more comfortable but not overly expensive alternative?

Having returned home I'm looking forward to the next camp and now weighing up options for an alternative shelter which will be lighter and less bulky than the polish lavvu. I'm thinking - hammock, tarp or small tent? They all have pro's and cons. I'm not sure about a hammock yet but am erring towards getting a dd 3x3 tarp and using my ipk again as a groundsheet but wasn't sure if I need a bivi bag with this system. I didn't use a bivi with the lavvu/ipk setup and was fine so wonder if it'll become necessary under a tarp?

The Swedish army trangia is worth a mention, I cleaned out vapour holes before the camp and it worked a treat and boiled up the water and chilli con carne in no time. It may be heavy but I'm happy to keep this in the kit as it works so well.

Thanks again for your advice, will post a piccy once I set up a photo bucket profile (can you link to piccies on google plus?)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hello mate,glad you had a good time.I think it was the jura whiskey was the cause of the fuzzy heads in the morning ;)
If you decide you want a bivi bag have a look at the apkit hunka bivi bag.looking forward to the next over nighter and seeing your new kit/set up as kit dose have a habit of growing ;)

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Have you thought about using the cover of the Czech bedroll as a bivi? It's not waterproof, but it is water resistant (especially if you give some extra treatment with nikwax, grangers, etc.) and if you are using a tarp or the lavvi then you should be fine. I have a similar set-up using only one lavvu half and the bedroll outer as a cover for my sleeping bag and it works fine. That said, I haven't yet been out in any inclement weather so I can't swear by it. I am planning to get a DD tarp to provide a cover over the lavvu and a handy awning/work area which should prevent any splashing/spraying of rain into the lavvu if it gets really heavy.

The only thing I am cautious of is the risk from sparks to the Czech outer if I am sleeping quite close to the fire as it gets colder. I don't think it would 'go up' like a firework but I am a bit worried that it could burn through. So, I also carry a 100% wool blanket to lay over the bag.

I too bought the Czech bedoll but found it took up loads of room in my pack - and that's a LK70! I now either carry my sleeping bag rolled up in the bedroll outer or use the straps on lash it to my pack frame.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Great kit list, seems pretty similar to my first kit list funnily enough. However, you could save space by either not bringing a groundsheet or not bringing the outer for the Czech bedroll as they do the same job, so you should be ok with just 1:)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Ok so here's a piccy of my lavvu, fingers crossed as this is the first attempt at uploading!

20140927_141541_zpsf924af11.jpg~320x480

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Glad you had a great time, your kit list looks great to me, you'll always chop and change bits depending upon season/ solo or group outing/ experimentation or just for the sheer hell of it. (It's a very enjoyable part of the hobby/ pastime).

Beware of the 'wish list' (but enjoy it as well) I've just gotten into the Boone/retro ethos and now find I can do without 80% of what I've accumulated. That said I enjoy using it all and enjoyed researching and getting it all. My kit now differs on what mood I'm in, the season/ weather forecast, whether I'm hiking to my site or whether it's a car-assist job. Whether I'm solo or with some oppos and cooking communally or for myself. Whatever, it's all good, it's all enjoyable and as you've already found out it's largely irrelevant so long as you are safe and enjoying your time out in the woods.

Look forward to reading about your future trips.

Cheers

Steve

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks, I'm very fond of the lavvu, cost about £17 is about 40years old (old skool!) and is perhaps one of the easiest tents you'll ever pitch! Its withstood the watering can test in the garden but not tested it in the rain, would probably benefit from a coat of fabsil and plenty of YouTube video show it is more than capable of keeping out the rain. The main downside is that it isn't light, probably weighs about 3kg. Personally I bought it because I didn't have loads of cash to spend and wanted to build up a basic kit for wild camping at that price I don't think you can get anything better.

I know this is late, concerning your original request for comment/ advice and I'm sure, based on your original kit list, that your overnighter was, at least, warm and dry (it isn't fun if not!)...

I hope your growing experience leads you to take plenty of bin bags out with you - us modern humans generate an, always underestimated, amount of waste - which needs carrying out.

Like the Lavvu set up - and love the chair - nice one!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE