Kindle recomendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I am a Luddite - I abhore all these electronic gadgets (except my PC of course...:) ) - bin the iPods/smartphones/Kindles (do they make good kindling? :D) and get a book/library card and interact with the real world!
Bah Humbug!
Not that I could afford any of these gadgets anyway......

John, I'm a bookaholic, love them, hated the Kindle.....until the kids got me one. They will never replace the book for me, the ritual of sitting down with an old book, glass of booze, feet up and read. But, the Kindle has its place and there are so many free books out there that I doubt you would need to buy a paper version for a long long time. Project Guttenberg, University of Virginia and Adelaide all have masses of free books, ranging from The Bible to Nansen to Shackleton to the Lewis and Clarke expedition et al. Put some pennies away and buy one mate; you really won't regret it.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I just bought my wife a Sony PRS350 ereader as I didn't want to be tied to Amazon as the only place to get books.
Just hope she likes it !

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Love the kindle, still love books, make sure you turn the wifi off, saves the battery a bit more, although the battery life is pretty good anyway, but it also makes it less easy (as I have done) to buy books.... Even a lot of 79p and 90p can add up! as I learnt....

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I've just been playing with my brother's - it's really, really nice and I think I will get one soon.

I've had a look on some of the .torrent sites and there are 1000s of books available (some open-source, others illegal).

The screen and reading experience is much better than I thought it would be and the sheer volume of texts available have me pretty much sold.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I love my books but the Kindle is just another way of reading.

On the other hand, when I mentioned I might get one, a friend sent me this video (In Spanish with English subtitles but well worth viewing - especially if you are a fully paid up luddite!:))

[video=youtube;YhcPX1wVp38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcPX1wVp38&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I'd love one but can't justify it since I have the Kindle app on my iPad- no probs at home, work, in town but USELESS outdoors as screen too reflective and wouldn't want to break the iPad out camping!

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Just as an aside....

An off the shelf paperback that I bought in the late 70s is now worth circa £80 -£150...I have several of this type of book in my collection. Part of the enjoyment of book ownership?

sack

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Kindle 3G. Free, international-roaming data. FREE! INTERNATIONAL! And the battery-life is phenomenal.
OK, the browser's clunky and sluggish, but it's fine for emergencies or holidays.

I love my Kindle 3G. A better travelling companion than my iPad.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I have a kindle and love it. I've managed to amass more digital books than I think I'll manage to read, but it certainly doesn't completely replace books for me. For example, I've got a growing collection of Collins guides (Trees, Mushrooms, SAS survival, Food for Free) and the kindle can't really do those kind of reference books justice.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Can I just ask a quick question of Kindle owners?? I'm contemplating a Kindle as I have lots of PDF's I would like to look at on the move , what happens to PDF's that contain Colour Phots on the Kindle?? ie does it try to show them or just blank them out???

Thanks for the help guys!

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
With a decent amount of detail and pixelation??

< Thanks for the repsonse 3 Bears.>

the light here isn't fantastic (damn energy saver bulbs) but just so you get an idea of the detail it can throw out :)

2011-12-15221215.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just this week I invested in a few DVD's and CDs of ebooks. I bought them on ebay. One purchase for £4.99 with free P&P netted me two DVDs containing 200,000 ebooks in various formats including PDF. Another CD I have coming has 10,000 sci-fi and fantasy books. No I don't have a Kindle yet, but I do have a desktop PC which I hope to make full use of these new fangled ebooks until I get a Kindle or like. need to do a bit of research on which one would be best for me, at the moment they're still classed in the White man's magic catagory.

Love that Book film clip, how the heck can anyone speak Spanish without spwaying everyone within a radius of 2 feet in saliva is anyone's guess, so many "TH" sounds in the dialogue. :lmao:

Thanks for the endorsements of the Kindle, sooooo tempted but I'll wait till the January sales.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE