Kindle recomendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
after a good 6 months of 'ummming' I finally committed and bought a Kindle- and so far I have to say it's blown my socks off!

are there any other kindle users here that have recommendation, reading lists, tips tricks ect?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I got one a couple of weeks ago after a lot of debate and I'm completely sold. I found out that you can change the default dictionary so you can read in other languages and instantly look up words you don't know and that's what finally convinced me to buy it. I've downloaded some free classics from Project Gutenburg and bought a few books from Amazon. The screen is excellent and i can read for hours without getting eye strain. It's also great outdoors.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been thinking about getting one for ages, just for reading in the hammock in the long dark winter evenings.

Do they stand up fairly well to knocks ? Would one of those neoprene sleeves be up to the task ?

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I just bought the wifi version, I couldn't justify the extra 50 quid for a 3g version when I'll be loading most of the books from my PC onto it anyway.

I'm massively impressed- this thing even does PDF, all my technical books view fine :) I've got a case on order to make it looks a like more book like and to make it a bit more bag friendly if you're after a bombproof case otterbox do one- so I'm guessing that would be pretty rugged :)

recommended to all!

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
I've been thinking about getting one for ages, just for reading in the hammock in the long dark winter evenings.

Do they stand up fairly well to knocks ? Would one of those neoprene sleeves be up to the task ?

I bought my wife one for Christmas, she keeps it in her 'hand bag' which as we're probably all accustomed too- is more like a sack.
She doesn't have a problem with it being knocked about and she keeps it in a redundant wooly hat...

Interestingly she used to be a book purist, couldn't read off a screen and thought it would detract away from the magic of turning pages. She still likes actual books but Kindle screen is pretty much like paper anyway just without the smell!

i got one from swmbo as an early bday prezzie, its awesome, i would recommend looking at the classics section, treasure island, dracula, frankenstein, dorien gray to name but a few all free. also slapped bushblades tarp and hammock set up on to it aswell as a few other useful free pdfs iv found.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Another recommendation. I got one for Christmas and am very happy with it. The reading experience is more like a book than a computer, its light and easy to use, the battery lasts for ages especially if you switch the wifi off and its tough.

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
I got one last year and the screen developed a fault a couple of weeks ago at the weekend. So a phonecall to Amazon heklpdesk on sunday evening and 2 days later a brand new Kindle. Not only are they fantastic pieces of kit but Amazons support is incredible. Cant recommend highly enough

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have to confess that I don't see the attraction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite and I am a huge fan of tallking books (on my i-pod for flying on business), as well as owning a smartphone. Watching their TV advert irritates me as all the imagery they use of people using it on the move applies equally to a book.

Mind you, I guess when paper was invented there were people like me who preferred chiselling stone tablets!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to confess that I don't see the attraction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite and I am a huge fan of tallking books (on my i-pod for flying on business), as well as owning a smartphone. Watching their TV advert irritates me as all the imagery they use of people using it on the move applies equally to a book.

Mind you, I guess when paper was invented there were people like me who preferred chiselling stone tablets!
I am a Luddite - I abhore all these electronic gadgets (except my PC of course...:) ) - bin the iPods/smartphones/Kindles (do they make good kindling? :D) and get a book/library card and interact with the real world!
Bah Humbug!
Not that I could afford any of these gadgets anyway......

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I am a Luddite - I abhore all these electronic gadgets (except my PC of course...:) ) - bin the iPods/smartphones/Kindles (do they make good kindling? :D) and get a book/library card and interact with the real world!
Bah Humbug!
Not that I could afford any of these gadgets anyway......

I'm halfway between the two.

When I'm out of the UK on business, the ability to check train times or check-in for my flight using a phone is a real lifesaver. When I'm at home the thing is switched off. What concerns me is the almost pathological dependency on their gadgets that the teens and twentysomethings seem to have; that of course relates back to the thread about technology overtaking evolution.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
The attraction is to carry 3,000+ books in a small device. Save bookshelves room. When travelling have plenty of choice without the bulk; dn't like the book, just switch to another.

What concerns me is the almost pathological dependency on their cutting gadgets that the oldies seem to have :)))

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I love my books but the Kindle is just another way of reading.

On the other hand, when I mentioned I might get one, a friend sent me this video (In Spanish with English subtitles but well worth viewing - especially if you are a fully paid up luddite!:))

[video=youtube;YhcPX1wVp38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhcPX1wVp38&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
My wife bought me one because she got fed up with my book hoarding (can't walk past a charity shop).

I'm not into electronic gadgets either but I find it very easy to use. Books are downloaded in seconds & they have a good range available.

The battery lasts for well over six weeks.

Its small enough for a jacket pocket & its brilliant for those times when you're waiting for someone off a train or at the Dentists etc.

I just hope they start dropping the price on some of the newer stuff because I don't think its justifiable. (some are as dear as hardbacks)

Adjustable print size is a real bonus & makes my reading faster

Overall I'd recommend it

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have an IPad with the Kindle app and it's great. The Kindle store on Amazon definitely has the best selection of books.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
I use the kindle app on my mobile and think it's pretty good, I've always got my phone on me so can catch up on a book waiting for the misses or the eldest daughter when I'm being dad taxi. But its no substitute for the feel and smell of a good book, I much prefer turning a page than swiping a screen.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The attraction is to carry 3,000+ books in a small device. Save bookshelves room. When travelling have plenty of choice without the bulk; dn't like the book, just switch to another.

What concerns me is the almost pathological dependency on their cutting gadgets that the oldies seem to have :)))

Ah but you can't carve a spoon with a kindle..........at least not unless you put an edge on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE