Kifaru Tipi and stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Seriously thinking about getting one.. Anybody any experience of them? Any advice on size? Import costs? Cheaper 'just as good' alternatives? etc etc..

Thanks in advance

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep - i'm afraid import costs are pretty high. It's in the region of £70-80 on a Kifaru G2 Zulu & E&E - the items themselves were around $400, shipping was $70, Royal Mail add about £8 for processing fee, then you have import tax and VAT.

Clearly, the more expensive the item, the more you pay in duties/taxes. I would also imagine that a tipi made by Kifaru would be built to withstand a small nuclear explosion so I bet it isn't lightweight!

Unless you really, really, really want one, I would suggest looking at some of the alternatives that are frequently mentioned in these hallowed pages. I remember many 'What Lavu/Tipi?' threads.

Just do a search. You may find that even though some look expensive, you'll still be spending less than on importing a Kifaru.

I should point out that I'm not trying to take business away from Kifaru, as their stuff is great quality and very functional; however, I'm sure I haven't been the first to take sharp intakes of breath and a short sit-down when getting the invoice for the gear and then, a couple of months later, the invoice for import costs! :Wow:

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
If it is shipped by US mail it may get past customs without declaration. ALL private carriers UPS etc have a contractual obligation to declare all goods with heavy fines if they do not.

In any case, customs/revenue and PO charges add about 30% to anything over about £18 IIRC

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
You get clobbered by Her Majesty's Customs even if your stuff is shipped by the US Postal service - sadly.

Kifaru gear is very, very good but it weighs a bit more than you might expect and it won't be shipped instantly because of their batch method of manufacture. It is also incredibly expensive. I have one of their E&E packs - it's a brilliant bit of kit and my mainstay for nearly all the bushcraft that I do; with tarps and so on - simpler bits of gear - it's probably worth shopping around this side of the herring pond to find what you want.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
If you know somebody in the states have whatever you buy sent to them,then get them to send it to you.No duty (apparently;))

Apparently Not!

Last time I looked, even if a family member is sending goods to someone in the UK, a declaration as to the value needs to be made, even if the items are sent as 'gifts' or personal property.

Should the parcel be opened, it would be obvious that the items were new (and traceable to manufacturer, selling date, buyer, value etc, via the tipi serial number).

The impression of VAT and Duty avoidance may arise....

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Okidoki.. So does anyone have any advice on alternative brands. Big enough for 3 plus kit, fire friendly, reasonably light, well made and good value.

Thanks. (have searched the threads but not found anything that stands out)

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
Okidoki.. So does anyone have any advice on alternative brands. Big enough for 3 plus kit, fire friendly, reasonably light, well made and good value.

Thanks. (have searched the threads but not found anything that stands out)

Kifaru only has one competitor, Ti Goat, which is shadowing some of it's products (round tipis and Ultra Light Ti stoves) only in lighter versions. Kifaru aims at hardy Alaskan hunters which is why their gear is heavy but lasts well. Ti Goat is smaller and a cottage industry but also expensive and until recently had the record for the lightest multi-sectioned walking pole and still has for stoves. Apparently both Kifaru and Ti Goat are nice families. Your spec fits their Vertex 6.5
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/vertex6_5.html

Round tipis are popular in expeditions, Alaska, above treeline etc. because they shed gust level winds well. For cheaper light weight faceted tipis which would suit Europe and most challenging environments (high winds) well too you can try these 2 in the States which are cheaper:
http://www.owareusa.com/
http://mldgear.com/shop/index.php

For a realistic alternative in the UK which is cheap and high quality, try Golite's Shangri-La 3 which has evolved from an acclaimed predecessor and is actually a very highly thought of shelter. You can also buy the innertent bugnet'n'floor or just the cheaper bathtub floor (recommended in the wet UK) separately but many don't bother. If used in snow just bury the outside rim in snow. Many people sew on a net skirt (one to two foot) round the bottom (or glue or velcro) for summer ventilation/extra light which also gives the tent extra height and space. This tent is a favourite to many:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=golite+shangri-la+3&scoring=p

Of course making a faceted tipi is not difficult if one knows a bit of sewing on coated ripstop nylon (which can be learned with a little exercise on bits first) or if you know someone up for it with a sewing machine. Just try your model on cheap material first and always cut the panels an inch bigger in case of mistakes. There are suppliers of fabric, tent sewing thread, zips or velcros, webbing, seam sealer, etc. in the UK but it takes some time making your own gear. Good luck.

Last edited:
Allen

When you refer to lightweight, what are you after...

ie. what sort of camping are you going to do, are you planning on carrying this over distances or just car camping.

The reason I ask is that I have a large Outwell family tent which has a truely massive pask-size and weighs the earth (but it keeps SWMBO in the level of comfort required for her to come camping). So when I got my Tentipi Arran 7, I was fully expecting it to be comparable - much to my surprise it actually has a pack-size similar to my old Vango 3 man tent, and doesn't weigh that much either.

Hence, I'd recommend the Tentipi's in polycotton (more fire resistant / stove friendly). The quality is second to none also (IMO).

Don't get me wrong, if you want really lightweight then this probably isn't for you; but if you want durability, that'll last a good while too, then these are worth a look.

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Ok, I like the look of and reviews of the shangri la 3 but I don't think it is stove friendly. I like the idea of a half nest for me and the boy, other half bare ground for boots and cooking etc. I really am swayed towards having the stove option as it means I can dry clothes, cook, keep boy warm etc. And if I get a full floor that has a hole for the stove then there will be room for my wife to come camping too ( but that will be very rare so not too concerned about that option coming with it from the start.) . Weight wise, I am fit and strong so it's not a huge issue, I won't be using this for long treks, but I don't want a 10kg bulky lump either. Say under 5 kg would be a target. I want It to be waterproof obviously and stove/ fire friendly. Good reputation/ reviews, proven performance. Available in uk. Target price of say £500 including stove and half nest. I think that's it.. Am writing this on an iPod so it's hard to review what I have wrote.. Thanks again, al

Last edited:

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Type of camping will be car camping and half day walk camping in woods. Hill camping will also be done but will not involve use of stove due to lack of materials up there. Ta

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
On the tam site the Porsanger 4-6 looks good, could you just have a small open fire instead of a stove? Looking at the prices, this might be the only way forward.. Buy a good quality lavvu that can be used with both firebox and stove and buy the stove at a later date... ? Any thoughts on this and my other earlier post.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
A stove boot, a small piece of fire proof material sewn onto the tent's body with a hole for chimney, can be easily sewn onto most tents. It might be best to ask someone to make you a silnylon round tipi and folding titanium stove. The smaller round stoves are even lighter. There are plenty of photos of Kifaru and Ti Goat stoves on google images to make up plans. I would look at the low weights of both Kifaru and Ti Goat stoves carfully before committing to anything heavy. For open fires in the tent, needing a hole in the roof centre, you have many Scandinavian options but again they are heavy. A lightweight silnylon round tipi and a compact lightweight Ti stove with a side chimney is the ultiamte in backpacking. Every pound less gives you a largr range and much ore enjoyment. Best wishes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE