Khukuri Confusion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 26, 2011
Coventry
I've been wanting to buy a Khukuri for wide variety of tasks and reasons, ever since I saw a friend of mine going through wood and scrap pallets like butter at an event. As such I'm very much looking at a utility, plain, all-about-what-it-does khukuri, perhaps more biased towards chopping and heavier work rather than whittling or fine work.

As such, plus the fact that everyone here seems to rate the Khukuri House, I'm looking at this 'Farmers' version:
http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/product.php?id=313733fc5113

That said, if anyone wants to tell me I'm wrong, or that there are better options, I'm all ears :)

However, my question is this: Which Khukuri House is the Khukuri House? So far I've found these:
http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/
http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/ and
http://www.khukrimuseum.com/

They all have very similar sites, and the same logo. Which one is the right one, or are they all the same?

Actually, scratch that, I've just noticed they each have links to the others, in which case, I guess I'm just asking, any thoughts on the particular model? Any gotchas?

Cheers all,

SD

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hello i have a kabar kukri, its a serious piece of kit, very sharp out of the box, and its about £60,00 now new

nenook

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I bought mine from the kukri shop in Kathmandu. They have a great range but there are a lot of 'tourist' knives available on the streets. Very useful tool to have around and you can see them being used for all sorts of things in Nepal from splitting bamboo to killing chickens.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I know it's not a khukuri but I've got one of these great knife but a bit too wide for constant use . I must say though that because I ordered that I then got offered this for about £2 , once sharpened it's one of my favourite kitchen knives .
Also to add that I have never ever dealt with such fantastic customer service , even though it was a tiny order I got regular updates and queries .
Cheers , Trev .

One thing , the catalogue pictures are slightly less rugged than the actual product . No affiliation , but I even kept the wrapping paper it was so well made .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There are ALWAYS better options. Usually the better option will be the one you didn't choose. I have a Khukuri from Khukuri House also and I love it. Mine is extremelt similar to yours; it's only slightly longer and my sheath doesn't have the metal tip. I haven't actually seen one with the metal tip so I don't know but I've read that they can be annoying as they loosen up with time. I do really like the full tang Panawal design. If you've seen one of the real Khukuris from Nepal then you know to expect a functional, hand made knife that shows little if any deference to finess. The fit and finish are extremely utilitarian as befits a workhorse such as this; in fact that very feature is one of the things I love about these knives. They are usable, durable, well balanced and have a very real (although very rustic) attractiveness. Don't second guess yourself about better choices! Get one and enjoy! If you find something better down the road then trade up. That's also part of the fun, playing with our toys and then finding new ones.

L

Liveitloud

New to the site. Hello everyone. I got a few Khuks and I have to say the best one I have came from Himalayan Imports. They have a web site and can be found through Blade Forums. Yangdu is just an awesome person and they make top quality blades. I do have one I got from Khuk house as well and it's a solid blade but I just don't think you can beat HI. You might also try Tora Khukuri's. I hear they are very high quality.

From Khukuri House:

Junky4.jpg

Junky1.jpg

Ganga Ram Bonecutter from HI:

GRBC8.jpg

GRBC7.jpg

GRBC2.jpg

GRBC9.jpg

Bahadar from HI:

Bah2.jpg

Bah6.jpg

Bah5.jpg

and a K-Bit from HI:

Kbit6.jpg

Kbit1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE