Kettle - open fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Any personal recommendations for a kettle for use on an open fire.

- will be used solely for making tea/coffee
- will be mostly stood on a mesh/grill that sits over the fire, handle needed occasionaly
- capacity around 1.2 litre (suitable for warms drinks for 2-4 people)
- doesn't need to be featherweight, but lightweight is an advantage as it will be carried in rucksack.

I've searched around the forum, found lots of talk about Kelly kettles, but haven't yet found anything specifically for open fire kettles.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
A zebra kettle/teapot should be just the ticket. The 14cm one should be plenty for 2-4 people. I've just sold a 14cm one in the classifieds - the only reason I sold it was that I bought the 16cm one as we're usually 4+ people. Great kettles though.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Here's the one I use. Not sure of its make - Gelert? All I remember is that I bought it a few years ago in Wilkinsons (although they still sell exactly the same ones. In 'camping season'). Can't remember how much it cost. But it came from Wilkos, so couldn't have been much more than a few quid.

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
Another vote for the Zebra kettle, i love mine. The only downer is the bail doesn't stand up on its own, but my resourceful friend (who has the same kettle) came up with a metal clip that keeps it up and stays on the kettle.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a trangia kettle from the large set and Jungle re uses a tesco camping kettle.Both are aluminium and hold enough water for 2-4 people,There is no problem sitting them in an open fire or suspending them over a fire.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Kelly kettle - can be used on an open fire and has the added advantage of not needing one if you're on the move and fancy a cuppa. Boils fast too - quicker than my mains electric one :D

Mang

Settler
Kelly kettle - can be used on an open fire and has the added advantage of not needing one if you're on the move and fancy a cuppa. Boils fast too - quicker than my mains electric one :D

I'd pondered doing this but shied away as I wondered if there would be issues with the metal handle and chain getting hot and the wooden handle and cork doing what wood does best near a fire.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd pondered doing this but shied away as I wondered if there would be issues with the metal handle and chain getting hot and the wooden handle and cork doing what wood does best near a fire.

That's the tricky part, I've used mine over a fire a few times but both the handle and cork are looking worse for it. If the fire's nice and small then it's easy enough but if it's a fairly large group fire and you're just doing it for convenience then it requires some balancing of sticks etc.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
A zebra kettle/teapot should be just the ticket. The 14cm one should be plenty for 2-4 people. I've just sold a 14cm one in the classifieds - the only reason I sold it was that I bought the 16cm one as we're usually 4+ people. Great kettles though.

This place http://www.culinox.co.uk/acatalog/occequipment.html#a78 does the Zebra kettle. They also sell shop soiled/demo pots on Evilbay from time to time. I picked up a 14cm for £5.99

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
That's the tricky part, I've used mine over a fire a few times but both the handle and cork are looking worse for it. If the fire's nice and small then it's easy enough but if it's a fairly large group fire and you're just doing it for convenience then it requires some balancing of sticks etc.

Even 'bushcraft' requires a modicum of common sense. A kelly kettle has it's own fire pot which the kettle sits in - if you've got a fire which you could roast Guido Fawkes on then scraping some of the embers to one side to put the kettle (any kettle come to that) on would be a good idea - alternatively just fill the kelly's fire pot with embers from the big fire, stick the kettle on the top of that and feed it twigs for a minute or two.

One hitherto unmentioned advantage of the kelly is stowage. It's tall and relatively narrow, so has a smaller pack footprint than a conventional kettle and has a hole through the middle which can be filled with all manner of sharp things (cutlery, bbq tools et al) which your pack might otherwise need protection from.

Cheese!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Even 'bushcraft' requires a modicum of common sense.

That's my problem then :rolleyes:

One hitherto unmentioned advantage of the kelly is stowage. It's tall and relatively narrow, so has a smaller pack footprint than a conventional kettle

You haven't got one then, they're the stupidest things to pack imho. As much as I love mine it does get left at home if I'm making a trip by foot becuase it takes up so much room compared to other stoves.

Ham!

;)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Even 'bushcraft' requires a modicum of common sense. A kelly kettle has it's own fire pot which the kettle sits in - if you've got a fire which you could roast Guido Fawkes on then scraping some of the embers to one side to put the kettle (any kettle come to that) on would be a good idea - alternatively just fill the kelly's fire pot with embers from the big fire, stick the kettle on the top of that and feed it twigs for a minute or two.

One hitherto unmentioned advantage of the kelly is stowage. It's tall and relatively narrow, so has a smaller pack footprint than a conventional kettle and has a hole through the middle which can be filled with all manner of sharp things (cutlery, bbq tools et al) which your pack might otherwise need protection from.

Cheese!

Spoken like a man who has read about them but not carried one.They are big bulky dirty and only good for boiling water,Which they do brilliantly.Wheras a kettle is small compact and reasonably clean and good for boiling water ,which they do brilliantly.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Go to a charity shop, they have loads of stainless steel teapots in varying sizes, i've got them in one cup size, up to one that holds a gallon !, and i've never paid more than £2,

and if you want a bail arm, they can be drilled, go on grab a bargain !.

Rob

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
does anyone have an actual picture of the 14cm zebra kettle? Also thanks for the shop link, but they only post to the uk. Are there any other stockists online?

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
how about packing the inside of the kelly kettle with kindling or tinder material for when it comes out to play next. i tend to use an old allie pan with lid for boiling water nowadays cant be bothered with carrying a kettle, kelly aside just hoping santa remembers the cross pot stand for it at xmas. ps did anyone else find the weather a bit wet this weekend or was i the only person in the woods!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
have you thought of looking at the primus litech coffee/tea kettle?
heres the link to the official primus website http://www.primus.se/Templates/Pages/3_cols_white_middle.aspx?SectionId=5888
i've got the larger 1.5l version of the kettle along with the excellent frying pan. i regularly use both on open fires, parrafin stoves etc and apart from the inevitable blackening on the bottom of the kettle both are dent free and still going strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE