Kent pattern conversion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Adze is right; no one seems to make kents anymore.

However they are so common. (I got one the other day) that a few altered will not go amiss, surely?
Apparently they still make Kent pattern axes...in America (what has happened to Britain :( ). Available from Matt at Woodland Craft Supplies: http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=11 :)

I would be interested to learn why the Kent pattern arose in the first place. What was the advantage in that style? I guess it did not come from nowhere and without some good reason.
I've wondered about that too. It is quite a simple, effective design and the slim blade works well for green-woodworking and woodcarving and is easy to sharpen. Perhaps the design was just relatively easy/quick to make with the materials and tools of the day and/or perhaps it just proved popular. I'm no blacksmith but they often seem to be made of a sheet of steel wrapped around and then forge welded, although I've notice the design/construction details vary from maker-to-maker and model-to-model. Also, perhaps it was a standard requirement for the War Department (I have seen military issue Kent pattern axes) and/or other government contracts.

I recently came across another pattern Suffolk/Sussex I think, which is subtly different the blade is a little more flared, giving a longer cutting edge. I think one of my axes might be of this pattern. If anything, it seems like it might be even more suited to carving & hewing, providing a longer cutting edge.

Last edited:

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
I liked it better before. Looked like a fine working Kent axe to me. What is it about these people feel the need to change?

I use mine for carving or scribing skirting boards all the time, really good as it is.

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
Thanks for the comments guys. Dont get me wrong i also like the kent pattern. I cut this one down to make it lighter for my son to use safely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE