Pattern 58

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
Hi.
I have been given a pattern 58 Long Army Issue sleeping bag.
Ive had it professionally cleaned at the local laundrette, and the loft in it seems quite good.
I haven’t used it yet,properly,outside,but was wondering if any of you have the same bag. It certainly came back from the laundrette a lot bigger with no musty smell.
Apart from packing down to the size of a small family car,would the heat insulation value be improved with a fleece liner and army goretex bivvy bag.
I plan to use it this coming weekend for the upcoming bivvy Guinness book record.
Regards.
Ray

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
A goretex bivvy bag will do well to keep any wet wind off the outside and you'll want a decent roll mat but other than that they do well, I've slept out in the snow in them and they're fine, just don't go to bed wearing lots of clothes otherwise you'll feel cold, sleep in a baselayer and let the sleeping bag do the work.

Reactions: Ray Smears

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
A goretex bivvy bag will do well to keep any wet wind off the outside and you'll want a decent roll mat but other than that they do well, I've slept out in the snow in them and they're fine, just don't go to bed wearing lots of clothes otherwise you'll feel cold, sleep in a baselayer and let the sleeping bag do the work.
Yes
I purchased one from our local surplus store up the road. Strikeforce UK.
I also have a fleece liner to use within it.
Regards
Ray.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I was issued with one. At the time I was amazed with the ideas. Central zip. Waterproof underneath. For what they are they are good value if in good nick.
Yes a good clean is paramount. Can’t say if our one shrunk or stretched after washing as it was a teenagers bag & was used by several!
S

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
I was issued with one. At the time I was amazed with the ideas. Central zip. Waterproof underneath. For what they are they are good value if in good nick.
Yes a good clean is paramount. Can’t say if our one shrunk or stretched after washing as it was a teenagers bag & was used by several!
S
This one is in extremely good condition.My friend,a range warden,at Salisbury Firing range,in the UK,was given it many years ago.
He was having a house clear out,and gave it to me,a few months ago. I then had it cleaned but have not used it yet.
Regards
Ray

Reactions: swyn

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I used one for years back in the 90s and it served me really well. Apparently they were stuffed with chicken feathers!

Roughneck

Mar 17, 2021
Chelmsford
I still have my original 58 Pattern Sleeping Bag "Magot" from the early 80''s under rated piece of kit and so cheap. Mine is used mainly when hammock camping due to the bullit proof zip in & out and as previously mentioned by Oliver G, absolutely essential to use a quality mat.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
If I could get one in decent nick I'd undoubtedly trade my current issue multi-bag "sleep system" for it.

I lent mine to my friend's idiot brother while he was homeless and couch surfing. He washed it... 60c in a washing machine, before giving it back. I just put it in the bin, didn't even bother unrolling it.

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
If I could get one in decent nick I'd undoubtedly trade my current issue multi-bag "sleep system" for it.

I lent mine to my friend's idiot brother while he was homeless and couch surfing. He washed it... 60c in a washing machine, before giving it back. I just put it in the bin, didn't even bother unrolling it.
How much would you pay for a almost mint one?
Regards
Ray

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Just back from a few nights away in it, just the medium bag and liner in a bivvy bag and it was fine. It just doesn't have the 'substance' of the '58.

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
Just back from a few nights away in it, just the medium bag and liner in a bivvy bag and it was fine. It just doesn't have the 'substance' of the '58.
May I ask you.
Imside the medium bag is a ‘tick box’,which is supposed to be ticked after each wash in indelible ink.
Is there any ticks and did you buy it new,or was it army surplus?
Regards
Ray.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I got two "systems" (medium bag, light bag, liner, stuff sacks) on regular, one long. Both were brand new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE