Kent Pattern axe head cracked ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Hi guys just recieved a 1lb kent pattern axe head in the post, bought of a certain auction site.

Was only a pound (under a fiver with p n p )so I couldn't say no, only mark on it is the words Five Fifteen and it appears to have been made from sheet stock folded over to make the eye.

The probem is there is what looks like a crack were the folded end was forge welded, its not open just looks like a bad weld, kind of like where damascus hasnt weled up right is only way i can think to desribe it.

Can this be fixed and can anyone tell me anymore about the make ?

(Will try and get pics as soon as I find spare batteries for camera)

Andy

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I don't know a great deal about axes but I think I'm right in saying that it is normal for a forged axe head to have a small crack at the bit side of the eye.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If the crack runs directly from the eye of the axe for 1/4" or so then that's normal.

I've seen lots of axes with similar cracks including my GB SFA and it's nothing to worry about.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
If it is a split in the eye then I'd agree with what's been said, it's a product of the manufacturing process and is never a problem ;) It's not a crack but a cold shut that is just because teh eye was drifted open larger than was needed by the smith, then closed up so it would later fit the handle

If it is a line along the side of the blade then it probably is a bad weld. A lot of older (pre-war) axes were laminated and flaws are not uncommon. Don't worry about it, the head has lasted this long! if you must fix it then either run some solder in there to fill it so it doesn't catch on things as you work. To be honest I never bother, i just grind it away a little to give clearance or leave it as a teaching aid :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Kent patterns are forged differently to gransfors in that they are folded round an mandrel and forge welded rather than the eye drifted through a lump. The base of the weld can appear to be a little open but I have never seen one split, as others have said I don't think it is anything to worry about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE