Kelly kettle cap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like my Kelly kettle, and it gets a fair bit of use, but that cork bung......:(

It gets filthy, it unscrews from the chain, I have seen it blown out with a blast of boiling water when two someones who ought to have known better forgot to remove it when they lit it......

I would like one of the metal cover caps instead.
Like the one on this KK

http://www.selfsufficiencyshop.co.uk/74-15-litre-twig-kettle.html

Does anyone know where I can buy just the cap ?

cheers,
Toddy

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
You can't get them for Kelly Kettles. I was after one for mine and i emailed KK and Ghillie and was told that they don't sell them. Also the ghillie one isn't designed for the KK.
A friend uses an old kettle whistle that he had on a kettle for his and bent it out till it fitted.
It seems to be the difference between a Kelly and a Ghillie.

Damn annoying if you ask me as it's alot better than the stupid cork!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the original idea of the cork was that water could be carried in the kettle too, but it's just not such a practical thing as the cap for most use.

Thanks for the information folks :D

cheers,
Mary

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I know it's not a nice metal cap, but what about a silicon rubber bung? Mind you where you get a rubber bung these days I don't know, not if you don't live in rural France that is.

693426.jpg

So if the worst comes to the worst, just let me know what size the hole is and I'll nip down the local farm supplies and buy a couple and pop them in the post.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly :) appreciated.

I have a spare cork, which I always thought I preferred since it was safe to hold without fear of a burn, but the metal cap has a cool buttonknob for holding it.

If I can't get a metal (whistling if possible) cap to fit the KK I'll just use the new bung and keep looking.

cheers,
M

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A wee question from the ignorant (I don't have one).

Why use the bung at all if there is no water to be kept in?

If it's just to keep muck out, a wee poly bag or a condom would do the same job, no?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The bung is attached to a chain. The chain allows the hot KK to be lifted and tilted to pour safely.
It's a two handed job.
One lifts the kettle by the top handle and the other uses the chain to tilt the kettle to pour.
The bung allows the kettle to be carried full, and is cool enough to pick up even when the kettle has boiled.
The bung can (and does, believe me it does :( ) blow out when whoever lit the kettle forgets to remove it. A forgotten screw in cap would effectively turn it into a steam powered bomb :yikes:

cheers,
Mary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's a shame the edge of the spout is rolled as it makes it a bit harder to find something to fit. I was thinking you might be able to adapt a small food tin or small disposable ramekin dish.
We have some old stainless egg cups in the cupboard which might work but I just don't know if they'd be big enough.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Can I ask a quick question here whilst on the subject?

Do you need to have water in the water jacket if you are still using the fire / jacket to cook over.

It boils water really quickly but I find when cooking over it I am concerned that if it boils dry will it ruin it?

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The aluminium ones must not be allowed to boil dry, and it's not advised for the stainless steel ones, though apparantly they don't melt the solder/seams the same way.

cheers,
Toddy

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Cant you get a whislte off an old kettle that will fit?
Kelly Kettles have an address on the box and apparently they are real helpfull over spares etc if you contact them. Do Gillies have the same info and are the bung holes the same size?:pokenest:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm thinking about hand-crafting (read bashing something else till it fits!) a spout cover for mine - something akin to a simple flap to keep bits of the forest out while I'm adding twigs to the fire. Might try resizing a whistling lid if I can liberate one from somewhere.

ATB

Ogri the trog

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I have a Ghillie and a Kelly and they don't fit!
I am adapting a Kelly cork by drilling out the centre and inserting a Le Crueset Kone Kettle whistle. I'll let you know once it's finished, if it works!
Mike

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I like my Kelly kettle, and it gets a fair bit of use, but that cork bung......:(

It gets filthy, it unscrews from the chain, I have seen it blown out with a blast of boiling water when two someones who ought to have known better forgot to remove it when they lit it......

I would like one of the metal cover caps instead.
Like the one on this KK

http://www.selfsufficiencyshop.co.uk/74-15-litre-twig-kettle.html

That looks like my Ghillie kettle. I wrote to the supplier to tell them I think they're dangerous. This is what one did to me:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/hand.jpg

see

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=666735&postcount=42

Does anyone know where I can buy just the cap ?

I don't think you really want one. I think it's dangerous because it can shoot out a jet of boiling water several metres. Mine fell to bits inside a week, I had to put it back together. I think they should just have a loose-fitting dust cap to keep out dirt. I don't much like the idea of carrying them full of water but I suppose there's an argument for it. The idea of a tight fitting cap scares me witless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE