Kelly kettle cap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Can I ask a quick question here whilst on the subject?

Do you need to have water in the water jacket if you are still using the fire / jacket to cook over.

It boils water really quickly but I find when cooking over it I am concerned that if it boils dry will it ruin it?

You're right to worry. You can easily get 700-800 degrees Celsius from a wood fire, and aluminium alloys melt at much less than that. So an aluminium kettle will melt if there's no water in it keeping it cool, and that's the end of the kettle. Steels melt at well over 1000 degrees, so a steel one will fare a lot better when empty, but it's still a bad idea to heat it when dry. The sheet metal is thin and will eventually burn through, but well before that the stainless properties will be degraded, and it will also distort and probably start to leak at the seams. You're right, the water boils very quickly, and it's so quick that the idea of cooking over the same flame has always seemed nonsense to me. The water boils so fast that you wouldn't have enough time to cook anything, and when it boils you'd be frantically looking for somewhere to put the food while the boiling water was spraying all around the camp. At least that's my take on it. :(

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hello, I have an old glass thermos which has a cork cork. My granddad told me to wrap it in waxpaper to keep it fresh. It works very well.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks for the info ged.
I had a mishap using my Kelly kettle for the first time last week.
I lifted the handle to take it off the boil and burnt myself in the process.
I now know you have to keep the handle at 90 degrees first to lift it off.
I must confess I did it again on the second boil, reason being, I'm not that well at the moment, I'll call it stress.
Blooming good tool mind you, with thanks to Lurch.

Hi Folks, has this issue has been resolved yet? Here is a potential solution.

We sell Ghille Kettles and the spare Whistles that go with them!

Not sure whether these will fit the Kelly Kettle so i suggest a precise measurment but we have two sizes available, the inside diameters are 41mm(0.5L) and 59mm(1L + 1.5L).

They are £8 each and can be bought from our website here:

http://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/info_17316220161032.html

Many Thanks

Antony @ ProAdventure

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
We got are ghillie from you last year use it at least halk a dozen times a week when fishing any tips for cleaning them and do they all leak around the bottom like ares or is it we just use it to much just light it and keep fishing they are awesome

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Just by chance I've read this thread today but strangely I was in an Ironmongers just on Friday trying to buy an old fashioned kettle with the removable whistle cap. The only type available had a fixed hinged whistle with a plastic 'Forked' lever to lift the whistle when pouring water out. The shop owner informs me the older type with the removeable whistle are no longer available, now banned for safety reasons.
Apparently people had been putting the kettle on a heat source and then surprisingly burning themselves when trying to remove the whistle from a kettle of boiling water........

@Grumit,

It's nice to hear that you are getting so much use out of your GK. For cleaning we suggest a mild detergent (Dish washer liquid) or a stainless steel cleaner(With this i recommend lots of rinsing before use).

With regards to the leak. Have you ever boiled it dry?

The reason i ask is that should you put the kettle back on it's stand even with a very small amount of liquid in the bottom, the remaining heat in the fire tray can continue to boil any remaining water off and potentailly cause damage to the the metal seals.

With correct use these kettles can last years. I might suggest contacting Ghille Kettle here 01527 66217 or e-mailing them at mail@ghillie-kettle.co.uk for advise.

It's worth mentioning that if there is a defect with the kettle, Ghillie would like to hear about it.

I hope this has been helpfull

Antony @ProAdventure

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
@Grumit,

It's nice to hear that you are getting so much use out of your GK. For cleaning we suggest a mild detergent (Dish washer liquid) or a stainless steel cleaner(With this i recommend lots of rinsing before use).

With regards to the leak. Have you ever boiled it dry?

The reason i ask is that should you put the kettle back on it's stand even with a very small amount of liquid in the bottom, the remaining heat in the fire tray can continue to boil any remaining water off and potentailly cause damage to the the metal seals.

With correct use these kettles can last years. I might suggest contacting Ghille Kettle here 01527 66217 or e-mailing them at mail@ghillie-kettle.co.uk for advise.

It's worth mentioning that if there is a defect with the kettle, Ghillie would like to hear about it.

I hope this has been helpfull

Antony @ProAdventure
Not boiled it dry we always take it off when boiled and set it to the side it is just a very small amount . Doesn't affect the boil so not worried about it more than that will give it a clean as said thanks for the replie may need new ash pan this winter ares is looking like it is more like twenty years old rather than one

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I Have the Large KK and it is a shame they only make a cork,

I would love a screw cap that way i could carry water in it securely, instead of having a to have a separate waterbottle

I'm guessing the reason none of the manufacturers provide that is because of possible liability claims, as you just know someone would forget to take the cap off, and explode the kettle, showering superheated water over all and sundry.......................

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Uhuh, see post #1 :rolleyes:
That's why they use a cork.
I just wanted a loose fitting cover for mine, but KK don't make them and the other varieties don't fit.
In the end I found a new cork and I screwed a stainless steel bolt right through it. That way it can't come off, and it still works and keeps things clean. If it's kept upright then yes it's possible to carry water in it, otherwise is seeps a bit if lain on it's side.

cheers,
Toddy

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
If you want to carry water in KK there is a company that sells silicone bungs all sizes for sealing bottles, test tubes etc

They are like the shape of bungs for demijons for brewing but they have a "skirt " of silicone attached to the top that is rolled down over the outer part of the item the bung is inserted in making it a secure leak proof seal
Try Googling for silicone bungs,The information was on my old computor I will look for it
Why not make a lid out of alluminium that has a lip around it so it will rest on the KK spout but will blow off if water starts to boil that will keep out dust and twigs
I made one for my crusader mug by beating the edge of the alluminium to fold it over the lip of the mug
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE