Keeping your camp tidy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I use the same system when out and about as i do when im at home, when ive finished with it, i put it away, even when at camp, id rather walk 100 yards to my tent or hammock to put something away, than leave it laying around where it might get broken or even worse, lost, it just takes a bit of mental discipline to get things started and after a short while, it becomes second nature.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I too am a messy camper. All of the advice above is good, but I find the difficult thing is that i put stuff down without thinking about it, and then the next time I need it I don't know where it is. This means I lose kit arund the camp, and sometimes lose things completely.

I need to be conscious of what I do with things when I finish using them.

This is defo what I'm doing aswell, I don't think when Im putting stuff down.
It's been great to hear other people's systems, I'm not a fan of the idea of packing stuff back into my pack as it will only need to come back out again at some point, I do like the idea of hanging stuff up weather it being rig line, tripods or around trees.
It's already got me thinking of some new ideas :)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
ridge line under the tarp to hang stuff off of and a dry bag clipped to the line for all the smaller odd bits.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Another one for dry bags and/or pouches here, keeps your pack and your camp organised.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
The San bushmen only carry a bag with firesticks, a knife, an axe and their bow and arrows.
I know, not helping:eek:

I too have this tendencie, particulary inside my tent, to have loads of mess inside. As said the best thing I can think of is carry everything you need the most on your person and when you get something out of your pack to put it back.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I like 'Eagle Creek Packing Cube's' of different sizes. Help to organise stuff in the pack and also hung up/stashed round camp :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irKRWAc57zQ
1080_black_l.jpg

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Use something and put it away when done.

To really ingrain this habit imagine that you may have to move off at a moments notice.

Having said that, there are times my camp area is like an explosion in a feather factory...

Liam

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
It's a bit geeky but everything has its place in my pack, I know exactly where everything is. With the exception of the smaller items that go into a ditty bag, all the other kit is in its rightful place until I need it. If I take something out of my pack for a single task then it goes back in when I'm done with it. I'll have a knife and maybe a saw on my person but everything else goes in and out of the pack as needed.
^That.

It's much easier to lose something when it's left on the floor!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like an old bit of groundsheet to lie stuff out on to avoid mud, i also make a list to help me pack, then check what i didnt use.. Obviously some stuff like a fak would stay in, but it helps to cut down on non essentials

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Ok so Iv been writing stuff down and this is what I'm gonna try.

I'm gonna make a possible belt pouch for my:
First aid kit, fire kit, blow stick and head torch
That way I'm not digging around my response pack all the time (I know I have a response pack and yet I'm still messy...😕)
The response pack can hold all the odd and ends like spare battery, repair kits and so on.

A ridge line can come in handy for a small lantern and hygiene kit

What I have noticed is that the main bulk of the mess is kitchen gear pots pans, food & plates.... It's this I need to organize mainly,

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Ok so Iv been writing stuff down and this is what I'm gonna try.

I'm gonna make a possible belt pouch for my:
First aid kit, fire kit, blow stick and head torch
That way I'm not digging around my response pack all the time (I know I have a response pack and yet I'm still messy...😕)
The response pack can hold all the odd and ends like spare battery, repair kits and so on.

A ridge line can come in handy for a small lantern and hygiene kit

What I have noticed is that the main bulk of the mess is kitchen gear pots pans, food & plates.... It's this I need to organize mainly,

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I go with a bit of kit has its place in my pack, when I arrive at camp I put the Tarp up, the Hammock up, First Aid kit, and my phone, along with reading Glasses, a lamp, toilet bag get hung from the ridge line.

Underneath my Hammock is placed an orange survival sack that lives in the top pocket, then the Bergan is Placed at the foot end of my pit, on the Sack, I then take out the Plastic Boxes with the food/brew, and cooking pots and my Utensil Roll.

My Response Pack has loads of little get me out of trouble bits in and the fire lighting kit, a couple of collins gems, in, this get moved around the camp as i use things

Most of the time I take a chair, as that keeps you out of the wet or mud, if not I take a sit mat to kneel on.

Things are returned after use, This sometimes goes to pot when camping with others, lol.

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Ok guys I have a problem & it's getting embarrassing.
I'm a messy man at camp, I went out today for a Doss in the woods and all I wanted to do is play with the tarp and cook on my stoves and practice a few skills.
My day started @ 8am and I was finished at 1600, by then if you were to see my setup you would think I was out there for a week, I mean there is kit everywhere, cook wear, tools and food.
Don't get me wrong when I Leave an area there's no trace I was there.

Now lately Iv bean trying to carry less with me but some how I manage to make a mess which doesn't help when it's muddy like today as everything needs washing when I get home, but I need a simple system to keep me organised.
What I would like to know is there and tricks and tip to keeping your kit clean, tidy and reachable when needed.
What do you guys do? Or are you like me?

Mb
i'm like you, for a 1 nighter i have a 120l bergen stuffed to the gills, so heavy i cart it round on a trolley plus a load of other stuff i carry by hand. Kit everywhere :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
It's a bit geeky but everything has its place in my pack, I know exactly where everything is. With the exception of the smaller items that go into a ditty bag, all the other kit is in its rightful place until I need it. If I take something out of my pack for a single task then it goes back in when I'm done with it. I'll have a knife and maybe a saw on my person but everything else goes in and out of the pack as needed.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with spreading your stuff about, as long as you know where it all is :)

There you go Monkey Boy, it's very much a case of self discipline. If you try to imagine (just pretend) that you will be required to move in just 3 minutes from being given the order, you will get used to working that system.

When the order to move means diving into the back of a lorry and rattling off into the sunset...leaving some of your kit behind and much much later in your own time, when the rest of the boys are reeking of after shave lotion, posing and making pledges of undying love and devotion to the local Floozies...you, you lucky lad, must go trudging off miles toward the distant horizon to grope around in the dark and find the kit you left behind, :aargh4: Shewie's system makes complete sense..honestly.
:lmao::lmao:
Seriously, it helps if you can cut down on taking extra or non essential kit and work out of your Bergan and a small brew kit/food bag by the fire. :)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Don't get me wrong guys, I don't carry much at all, if anything I carry light and that's due to the fact I use to ride motorbikes.
All my gear I take fits into a 45lt for a weekend and it all gets used, it's just that I'm a messy begger at camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE