Keeping warm feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Brilliant thread with loads of fantastic advice and experiences, exactly what this forum is all about. I've put some time in trying various small tweaks and would like to feed back on what has helped me without spending much dosh. All obvious things that I didn't pay enough attention to.

I ditched my wellies as they were a little tight. One of the key things is to try to avoid is compressing the insulation round the foot, I noticed that while I was sitting I often was putting quite a lot of pressure through my feet or resting one foot on top of the other. I've tried to avoid that or move my feet a little every few minutes to shift the compression to another spot. A thermal mat to rest my feet on helps a little but is a long way from a solution on its own.

I bought some british army softie trousers as an extra insulating layer and this made a good difference keeping my legs warmer I think kept the blood flow to my feet higher. I was also surprised to find that I could wear them as a layer while walking in without overheating my legs, unlike if I had too many layers on my top.

So less compression of the insulation round the foot, plus reducing the area of boot contact with the ground via foot placement and/or an insulating mat, plus keeping the blood warm in my legs, have been the key things that have helped. I also tried some hot hands foot warmers and found a small benefit from them. They seem to be best placed in the arch of my foot and I don't really notice them when walking.

Next year I'm also going to buy some proper cold weather boots with plenty of room for extra socks.

Thanks again for the excellent advice.

Will

SimonL

Oct 13, 2010
Farnborough, Hants
Hi Will,
A bit of a late reply, but some years ago, I used to work in a "lock-up" that was SERIOUSLY cold in the winter, in the same area I worked, there was a medical supplies company. One of the guys there smoked, so we'd meet on odd occasion, and he sold me a pair of "mortuary boots" (wellies with a fleece liner basically) and these were brilliant !!
Might be worth a look - sorry, I have no links to offer :(
Good luck
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE