Keeping Kids safe at moots etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
some of us dont like kids and have to be Unusualy Tolerant to come to the Moot (where there is more kids than mozzies)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
some of us dont like kids and have to be Unusualy Tolerant to come to the Moot (where there is more kids than mozzies)

And it's just great watching how very well you cope with all those pesky kids Tengu, this year I'm sending mine to stay with you for the week so make sure you bring your extra tolerance pills and take them regularly :D

as for the OP, It's already been pointed out that the parents are responsible, for the most part this works very well and we've never really had an issue at the Moot, part of that though is that those attending accept that if they're not with their kids some other adult may well tell them to stop playing with fire (if it's getting dangerous or it's inappropriate) or to stop throwing things, making spiky sticks etc etc and the parents accept this.

For the most part (Tengu excluded, well, Womble lancs, Spikey and a number of others as well that struggle in the mornings because they don't go to bed until just before the children wake up :D) are very patient with the young ones and the parents of young ones, it's usually if the parents don't seem to care where the kids are there's an issue.

If you have young kids that you need to be with all the time to be able to make sure that they're not getting into trouble or doing something dangerous you're still welcome at the Moot, you'll just need to be with your child. Often parents swap off with one looking after children and the other doing workshops etc. It's a great environment to be able to teach the young ones as well and most people are more than happy to share knowledge with children when asked. It's also a great opportunity to teach them camp etiquette, how to act in someone else's space, don't touch tools etc, don't run through others camping areas etc etc but also for them to get to know that they can approach people and talk to them, ask how to do something etc

For some it's not that relaxing, it's a different environment but just as hard work as at home or anywhere else but it can be a great opportunity for the whole family.

At the Moot there's plenty of opportunity to organise activities as well, getting the parents and children together to make things, go for walks etc

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just replied to a pm on this topic....this is the gist of what I said.

Re: Moot and kids, a good idea?

Hello :)
The site is massive. It's on sandy soil and even when it pours the ground dries quickly :cool:
There are some things organised for families and children, the beach is a fair walk, but it's in deep sand on the way, and you can just stop and let the kids play.
Usually they make friends easily with similar ages, and their parents, and the week just disappears.
I'd take spare small tarps or cloth, and paracord or similar, and make play areas for them, tents, tepees, that kind of thing, and if you take a couple of small spades or trowels along, the kids can dig to their hearts content even if there's nothing else happening for a bit, but Mum and Dad need a sit down and a quiet blether

Bushcraft has it's own protocols, good manners kind of thing, about not asking to use someone else's axe, don't pick up someone else's knife, don't hand a knife back point first......a lot of folks take it ill out and start talking about moaning and nazis when someone explains. It's neither moaning or nazi like, it's simple explantion that keeps everyone happy.

It's the same kind of thing with children.
The fact that you've asked me is the surest certainty that your children aren't going to be a problem for anyone :approve:
Basically please see that they don't touch anyone else's tools or guylines/hammock/tentage, and that they know not to go near someone else's fire, and that's it really :cool:
Oh, and the primary rule for little ones, enjoy being in the woods with their parents :D

Genuinely, the Moot is a family friendly event, Tony has young children of his own along, and the baby was literally a baby last time, and they are all brilliant to have around :D
There are usually craft workshops for children, Shelley and Lorraine do others, and the slightly older children are welcome to learn to do things like the firebow. Adult workshops usually have a couple of kids tagging along with a parent. Capt'n Badger does a brilliant treasure hunt/ all over the site adventure for the children too

There are a lot of individuals come along as well though, and they don't want to be fussing over whether or not they can leave their axe next to the woodpile, just incase a child comes by and picks it up. They don't want to have to put their fire out when the soup's slowly simmering when they go to the showers.....they shouldn't have to. Children and other adults ought to know better than touch someone else's kit or fire. It's just simple courtesy really

Does this help ? It really is a brilliant week for everyone and I'd hate to discourage you in the least.

cheers,
Mary

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think you ought to make that a sticky in the Moot section Mary.

It covers just about everything folks need to know with regards to brining kids :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Generally the kids at the meet ups and the Moot have been incredibly well behaved..."

That has certainly been my experience, however I do recall one occasion at a Scottish meet where I was asked by two young un's if I would take them out on my canoe, "not right now" I replied. They decided to take it out themselves anyway and were only noticed when they were about 150 m out, fighting against a headwind to get back and wearing no PFD's! :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally, I like children :)
Pickled is fine but slow roast with ransoms, Jack-by-the-Hedge or even bought in garlic is best.
2 average sized toddlers can see me through a whole Moot as long as I have enough bannock to go with them.:rolleyes:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Very interesting thread and it seemed about the right place to bring up the question i asked a few months ago. I'm 17 and im planning to come to the bushmoot this year, however where do I stand? My parents arent interested in bushcraft (although they like to camp) so I would come on my own or with my friend Ant (16). We're both responsible people and Scout young leaders with lots of experience so we would like to come to the moot and be treated as adults, doing all the activities and cooking for ourselves, camping by ourselves, responsible for our own kit. However thats the problem, are we allowed to come on our own and are we allowed to be responsible for our knives ourselves?
If this is a problem (which I hope not), would it be acceptable if I persuaded my 20 year old brother to come with us and be our responsible adult?

Looking for to your replies
Thanks
Dan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The usual age that we accept youths handling and carrying knives under their own recognisance is 16. Younger than that generally they have a quiet discussion with their parents and a Mod who is pretty sound about knives and the like. If they all agree, then there's no problem with that youth having a knife on his/her person on the site.

In your case, you are both of age to be responsible, and again, since you have asked this, I suspect no one will have any concerns about your behaviour :)

I think it might be best to contact Tony or Shelly and check with them about a 16 and 17 year old coming along on their own though; they might prefer an agreement from Mum or Dad too, and home contact numbers, kind of thing.

I hasten to add that you won't be the only people your age on site :cool: the others are pretty laid back and capable :approve: those associated with the Mods are inclined to find themselves co-opted as extra helping hands for set up, the shop and the hangi. Too useful :cool:

Nearer the time, mind and say that you could do with a lift from town if you're coming down by train or bus. We won't guarantee a lift, but there's usually someone heading up to town doing a shopping trip that would fit you in with the bags :D

cheers,
M

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Thank you for clearing that up Toddy. We would be happy to help out as you suggest during the moot, no problem! If anyone could give us a lift from the train station, as you suggested, we would be very grateful, but I'll ask nearer the time.

Thanks again
Dan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, I wasn't nagging :D It's just that it's a good way of being involved, finding your way around and getting to see more of the site than just your camp area :cool: It lets you put a face and voice to the folks on the forum too and lets them quietly get to know you as well.

There's usually a few folks needing lifts down from the station, and there's a main noticeboard where we try to keep a list of folks needing a groceries trip, so that if folks are going up anyway they can come along.

Everybody helps out a bit, and the week ticks along nicely for everyone:cool:

cheers,
M

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Sure we will be fine, she's a good kid just inquisitive. She has good sense of whats right and whats naughty. Got ideas to keep her safe now too after banging some ideas together.

Will have to watch Mr Fenna though.... Will have to tell littlun he's the Troll...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sure we will be fine, she's a good kid just inquisitive. She has good sense of whats right and whats naughty. Got ideas to keep her safe now too after banging some ideas together.

Will have to watch Mr Fenna though.... Will have to tell littlun he's the Troll...

A fair assessment!:nofeed:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE