Kayaks at the MOOT?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
Hi All,

Like some this will be my first time and will be using it as family holiday as well as a bushcraft learning experience. I will look to bring my two folding kayaks down to have a potter up and down the estuary and to fish etc, but my question is this:

In relation to the Moot location are there any good, quick, easy access points to the estuary or do i need to pack a trolley, or even drive to a put in?

Regards, TT.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
No direct access to the river on the site (that I know of)

You could park up at Ogmore (plenty of spaces) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x486e12c8c98bcee5:0xa6481a2b6370cd7b
and launch at the mouth. Could be quite a paddle if the tide is going out. It's a pay and display car park though.

I walked over the dunes from the campsite to the estuary last year in search of clay. I was knackered and I was only carrying a spade. It took about 30 minutes I'd guess. Felt like more because it was so hot and I gave up as the estuary mud wasn't good enough for pizza oven making. It's very up and down and I'm pretty sure I took the most direct route.

(looking at the map perhaps there is direct access to the river, but I've not been that deep into the forest, same problem applies about just how far you carry that kayak...!)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The easiest way is to drive to the other side of the estuary tbh
The site does go up to the river but the access is not good or easy

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
Thanks for the advice, the kayaks are light at 10.5kg, but still need to keep the walk down, so will probably pop round by car, but definately will be fishing and a lunch stop on Tusker rocks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angl...an/Ogmore-Estuary-and-Beach-sea-fishing-mark/

That few locals fish it kind of says it all really. It's a sewage outflow area, and upstream of that are the beats of the local angling association.

Maybe I'm just fussy ? :dunno: but I wouldn't be happy having any of mine fishing below a sewer outflow that even the surfers say, " Hazards here include strong rips, rocks and objects in the water originating from the local sewage works, usually after periods of heavy rainfall. This beach is probably best avoided at such times."

Massive inland dune systems though :) great for kids, though hard work to walk any great distance through.

cheers,
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just to Echo what Toddy said about the rip tide, there's a fair number of people that have got into trouble and ended up along way off shore or had a very ahrd time due to them, just be wary...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just a little research and it appears that the Ogmore Anglers claim that canoeing is prohibited while many canoeists and kayakers paddle it quite happily while being careful of course of the tides at the estuary mouth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE