Karrimor Sabre 60-100 vs Norrona vs Bergans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
Hey Folks,
i'm looking for a rucksack for awfully heavy loads (app. 40 kilo). I'm wondering how the Karrimor back system 60-100 compares to a Norrona Recon Pack or a Bergans Alpinist/Viking/Powerframe. How much can the Karrimor hipbelt take in comparision to those or a Berghaus Atlas/Vulcan?
I have absolutely no opportunity to try on a Karrimor, but it looks like a nice pack to me. I know the others, but since they're a lot more expensive i could save some money... So, in short is the back system of the Sabre just as good as all the other packs?
Thanks folks,

Karlson

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Hey Folks,
i'm looking for a rucksack for awfully heavy loads (app. 40 kilo). I'm wondering how the Karrimor back system 60-100 compares to a Norrona Recon Pack or a Bergans Alpinist/Viking/Powerframe. How much can the Karrimor hipbelt take in comparision to those or a Berghaus Atlas/Vulcan?
I have absolutely no opportunity to try on a Karrimor, but it looks like a nice pack to me. I know the others, but since they're a lot more expensive i could save some money... So, in short is the back system of the Sabre just as good as all the other packs?
Thanks folks,

Karlson

if you're going to be taking very heavy loads, i wouldnt buy blind, period. I bought the sabre blind and yes, i love it, but i wouldnt recommend that approach if you plan to be hauling a ton of weight.

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
I know, i know. If it isn't fitting at all i could send it back, but thats expensive since i'm not from UK. I just want to determine whether it is really worth a try. This pack looks so damn nice: it's green, i don't need it, i want it!!! ;) No, seriously what i got from the few reviews is that it should be suitable for hauling lots of stuff araound and thats exactly what i need...

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I have the old recon pack (civillian version), bought many years ago.
It is a heavy pack, but very comfortable. I highly recomend it if it fits you. If it don`t fit don`t buy it.
I carried GPS (those with a tripod:) ) equipment for a week in the mountains in a Norrøna syncro? which didn`t fit.
It was a nightmare.

But why on earth would you carry 40 kilos of gear?

Tor

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
40 kg could consist of 18kg gear +22 kg food (=44 days :D) - i know that i can carry that much. It's not too much fun, but fun/happiness comes with the freedom on those long trips. Normally the weight peaks around "only" 30-32 kg, but i want something that could take more - just in case or to take some extras like luxury or hunting gear.

Those of you that have the Karrimor, do you think it could cope with that or could my back cope with a Karrimor with such a load ;)?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I recently bought the sabre 80-130 and to be honest i dont rate it and dont think it would cope well with that much weight, here's why.

1 the plastic loops that hold the back yoke on arent stitched enough and look like they could be pulled away with not to much weight(i have a very old karrimor 65l panther with the same back system but the materials and quality is supperior to the sabres)

2 the shoulder straps and belt i find are to padded and dont sit right,so are uncomfy

3 general materials used eg, the straps materials etc are flimsy compared to how they used to be and compared to plce issue straps etc

in summary i find them quite poor quality i wish id got a vulcan or lowe alpine saracen, but to late now, i notice sabres are now made in China (mine says so in label) to me this speaks for itself. This is my personnel take on them.

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
The Vulcan is rather unsuitable for heavy loads, i had one and it was ok up to 28kg, but not more. I don't want to make you sad, but you could have bought a used dutch Army Saracen in dpm, they are sold for 90€ in Germany.
Do you think that their back system is much better than the Karrimors?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
To be honest im only judging the saracen form what ive seen on reviews and pictures, i just know i personnely am disapointed in my 80-130 sabre as i dont think its of the same quality and build as old karrimor products.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
this is prolly why you need to try the thing on, andy's saying the straps are over padded for him, - to me thats what makes the bag nice for me. horses for courses i suspect

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In contrast I find the sabre very comfortable with heavy loads over long periods of time. I would highly recommend it for that purpose with chest and waist straps deployed. It is a great sack.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
A friend had a Lowe saracen and it fell apart in Belize, not much weight either!! I would go Berghaus Vulcan or a proper issue bergan, I have seen a few guys in desert ops that need to carry more than a gerry can of water- getting on for 15 stone with radio ammo etc, the issue ones are cheap and occasionally pop a rivet on the frame- no drama really. I have used a vulcan for many years and never had a stitch go.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I've passed on your comments to the guys at PRI.

I wouldn't bother, Karrimor were bought out about 7 years ago, it's all inevitable. Despite this I am interested in the Sabre 45, because I cannot find a decent equivalent that takes PLCE pockets.

Question:
Does anyone have the Vulcan pack with side pockets use these pockets on a Sabre 45? I want a pack like the Sabre so that I can expand it without extra cost.

cheers,
Ian

p.s. usual nod in favour of the Vulcan: built not unlike a tank. It is heavy in the hand but not on the back.

edit: am I a complete idiot in overlooking the Berghaus Munro? What are your thoughts on this mid-weight pack?

2nd edit: oh it's on 35litres, compared to the Sabre's 45. Would the Munro fit the Nanok SF-10 with room left over?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...40 kg could consist of 18kg gear +22 kg food (=44 days :D) - i know that i can carry that much. It's not too much fun, but fun/happiness comes with the freedom on those long trips. Normally the weight peaks around "only" 30-32 kg, but i want something that could take more - just in case or to take some extras like luxury or hunting gear..."

40kg! you should think about taking a mule :D

Adrian on this forum has a Norrona Recon Pack (125 Litres) and has been for a few very long walks with lots of heavy gear with it. I've tried the thing and found it to be quite comfy, if I was in a position where I needed to cart that much weight around it would definitely be on the shortlist.

Additionally, this guy used a Bergans Powerframe (130 Litres) for his traverse of Iceland and it seemed to do the job.

:)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah what Lurch said :D PRI use the name under License (that's how it used to be anyway) and they're independent of mainstream karrimor in product.

There's another option for heavy loads and that's http://www.kifaru.net/ if you search you'll find a number of comments on these and they're all good. I know people that put huge loads in these and they do very well for strength and comfort, well worth a look.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
@Lurch @Tony

Thanks for the history lesson. No, you got it Lurch, I just didn't know what I was talking about, didn't realise they were different brands...although come to think of it this does eplain why I couldn't find any SFs on the Karrimor website.

Since when have they been different products? Since the split I mentioned? And what similarities do they still have if any? Are all Sabres made in China?

Anyway I'm happy again! I thought they'd gone down the pan.

Also, Lurch, being someone who deals with this sort of thing, can you compare the Munro with the Sabre 45?

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE