Karrimor predator or sabre 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A plce zip will cost less than £5 and an hour or 2 to stitch it on and jobs a goodun, just done it to my vulcan

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Can I add my thoughts?

I tried the predator but found it uncomfortable and heavy - great construction for ops, but too much for civvy use.

After a year of dithering, I bought a reduced price Sabre 45 (£50). So far it's been brilliant.

I bought a selection (4!) of side pockets on eBay and used these as a modular system for different activities. The ease of swapping pockets is a bonus. I wouldn't add extra pouches to the back as the balance would be upset IMHO.

There are more "backpacky" sacks out there, but I like the Sabre as it's fine for days out and, with added pockets, can just about cope with a week supervising Gold DofE groups in the Highlands. I also use the pockets with the yoke system as a day bag when moving out of a camp for days with groups in the hills. Yokes are quite cheap on eBay and don't add too much to a load.

Hope that helps. In the end, however, it's what fits you that counts.

PS my OCD is much better since I've had it re-diagnosed as CDO - the alphabetically correct version :cool:).

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a Sabre 45. I would have gone for something else as I was worried it might not suit my frame (tall and to chubby by half) but it has turned out to be quite comfortable. I can't say I have done any long distance stuff in it though. It is supremely well made and I was lucky to get mine off a scout leader for only £55 (it was still flat and in the bag) apparently he bought a load in a closing down sale thinking the scouts would snap them up but they were thought of as being far to expensive even at that price!! I don't think you can go wrong with one really. They are built like tanks and I am sure I will wear out before the bag does.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
One thing I like about the predator especially with the side pockets on is that it will sta d up on its own as the pockets sit almost flush with the bottom.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I have the predator and I'd echo what ozzy said, it's a fantastic pack but you wouldn't want to walk miles and miles with it fully loaded. I got it for the versatility of all the attachment points etc. and the different side pouches you can attach. never had cause to regret it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...it will sta d up on its own as the pockets sit almost flush with the bottom..."

The Karrimor will also stand up on its own, unfortunately that can attract the wrong kind of attention. :)

bloodycat005.JPG

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think that the molle panel would fit where a side pouch does, cant recall it having plce attachments on the front unless you stitch on the zips.

Apr 28, 2014
Somerset
Hey I have been haveing the same dilemma I love the sabre 45 its sleek a good size and those shoulder and waist straps look mighty comfortable but then I saw the predator and though all that Mollie would be soooooo useful especially when I want to go on a shorter trip compress the sack down and maybe add a mollie type pouch to the front or side and when I want a longer trip I can add the side pouches and mollie pouches to the front aloes it gives you a lot more strapping gear to it options with lots of methods also you have the little built in side pockets for bottles or bits on the predator but I realy don't like the big squareness of the predator the sabre looks a lot sleeker and more civilian looking don't get me wrong I don't care what it looks like in regards to military and civilian it's just the sabre dose look better if it had Molly on the side and front and the pockets I wouldn't hesitate thanks to this thread I've seen those mollie attachments for the sabre but then I am still in two minds I will be walking long distances so the sabre ticks another box there decisions decisions

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE