Karrimor KSB D30 Pioneer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

npr_kingslynn

May 17, 2014
Kings Lynn
Hi guys -

I'm in the market for some new boots, and I have a pretty limited budget. Does anyone have specific experience of / with the Karrimor KSB d30 pionner? It looks a lot like the salomon 4d series, was just wondering if anyone has had a pair, and how they've lasted. I live in Norfolk, UK, so think lots of wet marshy and muddy type stuff, especially in winter.

I know for £50 / £60 quid i'm not going to get anything like the quality I would if I could spend 2 or 3 times that amount, but I just can't afford that. The boots are a present, my budget is £50 but if the d30 pioneers are good I can find the extra tenner.

Can anyone who has actually had these chip in? Would be very appreciated :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I personaly wouldn't buy any Karrimor boot; some years ago I bought both boots and approach shoes that were labelled KSB and they were utter carp. I had both pairs changed within a fortnight because of leaks, and the
new ones were exactly the same. I got my money back and went the military surplus route, I got a pair of Altbergs that looked brand new for £60, never looked back.

I haven't heard a single good thing about Karrimor in a long time now, but many bad things. IMHO you could do very much better with your money :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Awful boots. I was daft enough to try them twice too. Shame on me.
For that money look out for UK cold weather boot, gortex, leather and vibram soles. They are issue only so ebay is the best bet. Heavy boot but very comfy, waterproof and indestructible.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I am currently wearing a pair and am not impressed, even for cheap boots
the upper/leather is ok, but the sole has rubbish grip to begin with and after about a year of less than rugged use the soles are mostly flat.

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
The karrimor sf stuff is made under license all other karrimor is rubbish these days. As said the karrimor sf cold weather boots are absolutely awesome in my opinion. EBay is the place my mate just got a pair £55 new I ended up paying 90 for mine. Worth every penny still

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I don't know if this helps you but the British Army are currently issuing Haix and Altberg boots. These are good boots, with a good reputation, and even better you can pick them up as surplus for £50 so right around your budget.

I've bought a pair of the Haix from these people (no connection other than I bought boots from them) and although they were listed as grade 1 they were unworn, a friend also bought a pair from them and they were also brand new.

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/footwear.html

I've found that the surplus boots can, certainly for me, take a little while to break in compared to commercial boots with lots of linings etc. However, I have 7 pairs of boots on the go at the minute and in my view the surplus Haix ones are as good as others that I've paid £250+ for. I always take it easy with breaking boots in and can't understand these people who rush into blisters and sore feet - put the boots on around the house for a few days, then take them out for a short walk, then go a bit further and if you feel them uncomfortable stop and don't go any further. Follow this and in a short while they will be broken in with no discomfort to yourself. Maybe the army force people to walk 20 miles in new boots and consider it "character building" but my character is already just fine so I'll keep discomfort to a minimum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE