karabina

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all i was looking for some small karabinas to hang my tarp as i saw thoth had modded his he said alpkit sold them for about 50p each anyway couldnt find them so heads up screw fix sell them in packs of 10 for £2.95 for3/16"they call them snap hooks quote 74155 for that size, go to your local store as they charge £5 postage
they do have other sizes i thought i would let you all know
regards dave :red::red::lmao:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
have you got a setup like this ? never seen one where the ridge line holds up a person :eek:sounds like:cool: an interesting concept

ow and thanks for the heads up on screwfix goodjob

Ok i substituted the word 'tarp' for 'hammock' in my head lol :D

in which case small non-weight bearing carabiners will work, i use 2 for my tarp,

ooooppppssss

fail lol :S

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
What Mr Ed says.... You may find yourself in the dirt my friend. There are enormous forces at work when you get in a hammock. I'm sure someone knows the maths but it's something like every kilo of downforce is multiplied by the distance between points of suspension..

Look at the pic below. Your Karabiner should be stamped with a weight rating in Kilo newtons (Kn). If there are no markings or they have "not for climbing" stamped on. I'd be more likely to kepp your keys on them or use them as gear clips under your tarp.
For every kn of pressure, it may hold 225 lbs of weight? So for instance, if you had a caribiner, that was rated at 25 kn. Could it hold an inanimate object that weighs roughly 5500 lbs

46.3680_e.jpg

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
guys they are for suspending your tarp from a line and nothing else ma be i was not clear enough
regards dave

leon-1

guys they are for suspending your tarp from a line and nothing else ma be i was not clear enough
regards dave

Dave, it was one mistake that has cascaded and the person in question has tried to explain.

MrED said:
Ok i substituted the word 'tarp' for 'hammock' in my head lol :D

in which case small non-weight bearing carabiners will work, i use 2 for my tarp,

ooooppppssss

As the others have said though thanks for the heads up on ScrewFix.

Unfortunately it would cost me more to get to the nearest ScrewFix :(than it would to actually buy 15 from alpkit and have them delivered as the delivery is in with the cost.

That was my reason for posting the link in the post above yours.:)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
thanks leon1 ah clippers ,snap hooks karabinas so confusing noughf said
regards dave

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'd still say get some decent Karabina's for your Tarp, remember if a sharp wind comes through the weight load on your tarp is going to increase a fair amount, even more so if its raining ;)

leon-1

i'd still say get some decent Karabina's for your Tarp, remember if a sharp wind comes through the weight load on your tarp is going to increase a fair amount, even more so if its raining ;)

I have used these on my tarp all year round for at least the last 2 years and "touch wood" I haven't had a problem with them yet. If you have concerns then use two of them back to back (so the gates face in opposite directions) as you would with snapgates to make them more secure. With this method you get the extra strength but you still keep both the size and weight down to a minimum.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Unfortunately it would cost me more to get to the nearest ScrewFix :(than it would to actually buy 15 from alpkit and have them delivered as the delivery is in with the cost.

That was my reason for posting the link in the post above yours.:)

Hi Leon,

Screwfix also deliver. You can find them here: www.screwfix.co.uk. I haven't checked to see how their delivery costs compare to Alpkit's.

FYI, I have also used the Alpkit version on my tarp with no problems.

Cheers!

Huon

leon-1

Hi Leon,

Screwfix also deliver. You can find them here: www.screwfix.co.uk. I haven't checked to see how their delivery costs compare to Alpkit's.

FYI, I have also used the Alpkit version on my tarp with no problems.

Cheers!

Huon

Hi Huon, dave mentioned the postage in his initial post.

hi all i was looking for some small karabinas to hang my tarp as i saw thoth had modded his he said alpkit sold them for about 50p each anyway couldnt find them so heads up screw fix sell them in packs of 10 for £2.95 for3/16"they call them snap hooks quote 74155 for that size, go to your local store as they charge £5 postage
they do have other sizes i thought i would let you all know
regards dave :red::red::lmao:

This means that for £7.50 delivered I can get 15 from Alpkit or 10 from Screwfix for £7.95 delivered.

It may work out better with higher quantities, perhaps on a group buy where a lot of them are being bought and possibly talking to screwfix to see at what level / quantity they will give a discount for higher amounts / numbers.

The only problem that I then see is the redistrobution. So to make it viable would be arrange a meet and ask the members of the meet who would like to be in on a group buy and see whether it's worth it.:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi Huon, dave mentioned the postage in his initial post.

This means that for £7.50 delivered I can get 15 from Alpkit or 10 from Screwfix for £7.95 delivered.

It may work out better with higher quantities, perhaps on a group buy where a lot of them are being bought and possibly talking to screwfix to see at what level / quantity they will give a discount for higher amounts / numbers.

The only problem that I then see is the redistrobution. So to make it viable would be arrange a meet and ask the members of the meet who would like to be in on a group buy and see whether it's worth it.:)

If folks were interested in this I'd be happy to sort out purchasing the screwfix ones. I've got a shop 5 minutes from me so it wouldn't be any trouble to pop along and buy them and then post on. I'm pretty sure I could beat their P&P.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE