Ka-bar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fair go Chris :) and Ystranc :)
I still quite fancy a Ka Bar for woods work and would carry one in public around my woods - if I had a realistic use for it at the time ... I would not carry it in town unless I was in transit to the woods, just like any fixed blade :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
We all have different pleasures from the knives and tools we use, that’s all part of the camping/bushcraft/survival, also choices in that name we have to use these tools.
I’ve owned a kbar and enjoyed using it, likewise many parangs but don’t like axes, like many of you do and that’s our choice and hobby and pleasure to relax and unwind in nature.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For several years visiting my grandparents I lusted after a Ka-Bar Scout knife that my Grandfather had. I think I may have owned a Mora at that time. The scout knife had a stacked leather handle, single guard, aluminium pommel and a clip-point blade with a full height flat grind and small secondary bevel. When I finally acquired it, I was disappointed in what I could do with it. The upsweep of the belly made the point rather too broad to be good for poking the starting holes in squirrel and rabbit hides and it wasn't easy to whittle with just due to overall profile geometry. Too light to chop, although it could snap-cut through small branches well enough.

Similar in blade to the Marine Ka-Bar is the Cold Steel SRK, which I got as a factory second in 1995 or so. I was even more disappointed in the blade on the SRK than I was on my Grandad's Ka-Bar. Too thick, too obtuse, too long to be good for detail work, too short to chop, and the sharp swedge chewed up batons like a teething pitbull. Maybe one day I will regrind, remove the swedge and re-handle it.

I am happy to leave the folk that like the Ka-Bar Marine knife to their preferences. Just not my cuppa.:coffee2:

Although, if I was carrying one, and needed to justify it, I would try "I cook on a wood stove and need something I can beat on like it deserves it to split wood and make shavings. I used to use a Mora, but broke it." :runaway::cop:
:cool3:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have an SRK in Carbon V ... shortened the blade (from the tang end) reshaped the tip/swedge and reground it as a high sabre (D Budd esq did the grinding - I liked what he did on Mesquite's Spyder co Bushcrafter), re handled it in oak and gave it a leather dangler sheath...
It is my favourite knife now.
A Ka Bar might need similar work?

• Haha
Reactions: C_Claycomb

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
While we are on the subject of these types of fixed blade knives , and I am fully aware that it is very similar to the KA BAR style of knives , does anyone own / or used the Sheffield Knives (John Nowill) made "Israeli Commando knife which has the leather stacked handle and carbon steel bowie type blade ? Just thought it was a bit of a strange knife for this company to make !

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
While we are on the subject of these types of fixed blade knives , and I am fully aware that it is very similar to the KA BAR style of knives , does anyone own / or used the Sheffield Knives (John Nowill) made "Israeli Commando knife which has the leather stacked handle and carbon steel bowie type blade ? Just thought it was a bit of a strange knife for this company to make !
No but I do own several antique Nowill knives along with a couple Bowies from the 1970’s

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have an SRK in Carbon V ... shortened the blade (from the tang end) reshaped the tip/swedge and reground it as a high sabre (D Budd esq did the grinding - I liked what he did on Mesquite's Spyder co Bushcrafter), re handled it in oak and gave it a leather dangler sheath...
It is my favourite knife now.
A Ka Bar might need similar work?
Come on we need a pic of it John :)

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I don't think anyone would correctly guess how that knife started life!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I owned one for a few years although made little use of it. I recall the blade was blued, or rather blacked, rather like a gun barrel. It was also smooth not the matt black textured finish as some knives are finished.
Overall I thought the build and quality, although a no frills item, was good. It felt 'Beefier' than a Kabar, ( sorry I'm not a knife Guru)
On the blade the only markings I remember seeing was a stamped Star of David close to the guard. The sheath was good too with a quality brass snap closure on the safety strap. Altogether I thought it was a more robust knife than the Kabar, of which I've owned the full size version too.
I kept it on my boat close to the Hatchway as a handy heavy duty tool for any task my usual belt knife could not handle. I'm pretty sure that my knife was a genuine made for issue one, unlike some modern Kabars with engravings of John Wayne etc: on the blade...;)

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
I owned one for a few years although made little use of it. I recall the blade was blued, or rather blacked, rather like a gun barrel. It was also smooth not the matt black textured finish as some knives are finished.
Overall I thought the build and quality, although a no frills item, was good. It felt 'Beefier' than a Kabar, ( sorry I'm not a knife Guru)
On the blade the only markings I remember seeing was a stamped Star of David close to the guard. The sheath was good too with a quality brass snap closure on the safety strap. Altogether I thought it was a more robust knife than the Kabar, of which I've owned the full size version too.
I kept it on my boat close to the Hatchway as a handy heavy duty tool for any task my usual belt knife could not handle. I'm pretty sure that my knife was a genuine made for issue one, unlike some modern Kabars with engravings of John Wayne etc: on the blade...;)
Was your Israeli Commando knife the model with yjr brass guard and pommel ?

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Was your Israeli Commando knife the model with yjr brass guard and pommel ?
My knife was the same as the photo but the leather handle was very dark brown rather than the lighter colour shown. Cross guard was black and steel rather than brass. Blade finish was the same, as was the flat 'Plate' type pommel. The Sheath was very dark brown almost black leather, as were the metal rivets, not shiney brass rivets as in the sheath shown on Heinnie's website.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
My knife was the same as the photo but the leather handle was very dark brown rather than the lighter colour shown. Cross guard was black and steel rather than brass. Blade finish was the same, as was the flat 'Plate' type pommel. The Sheath was very dark brown almost black leather, as were the metal rivets, not shiney brass rivets as in the sheath shown on Heinnie's website.
Still it seems a decent knife for the money whether as a collectors piece or whatever it may be used for . I would imagine it would stack up well enough against any of the US made Ka Bar , Case or Ontario similar models .

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Both the USMC knife and the Israeli knife have featured on my want but have no need for list for about 20 years…

I’ve come close to buying both but have so far resisted.

Reactions: airborne09

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE