KA-BAR or Mora for first knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2013
S.Wales
Hey, so I've recently decided to pick up bush craft and I was wondering what to get as a knife?

Originally I was thinking the KA-BAR Mark 1 (5 1/8" blade) - £62

But apparently the Mora Survival knife (4 1/4" blade) is better - £37

I'd just be using it as a general 'bushcraft' knife, all I've got at the moment is an Opinel. So if anyone can help me decide between the two, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey Descant, why even go as far as the Mora Survival? A Mora clipper will set you back around a tenner and is a fantastic knife.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd go for a mora companion and you will have enough left over for a few other bits a pieces and still be under the price of either you've mentioned. With the spare cash you could get a small sharpening stone, a fire steel, maybe a bacho saw too!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Get a Mora Clipper or Hultafors HVK, i use what can be considered as a "bushcraft knife" nearly every day of the week for work and indeed pleasure and use an old Mora 511 with the guard cut off and a HVK, they have never let me down, and if you speak to the people who know me, they will tell you that i use my knives hard, sure i have some high end knives as well and whilst they are lovely to use and they do get used, in reality they dont really do anything the Mora & Hult cant do and if i damage a Mora or Hult there will be no tears, whereas if i damaged say my Stewart Marsh or Alan Wood id be, well, lets put it this way, not very happy

Get a Mora Clipper or a Hultafors HVK and put the balance of your budget towards a Silky F180 saw, which blows Laplanders away and makes even brand new Bachos look blunt.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I would go for a Mora Companion and a Bahco Laplander. Together they will still cost a lot less than a Ka-Bar. Those two plus your Opinel will cover almost everything you will realistically ever need bushraft wise.

You can always go for an expensive full tang bushcraft knife at a later date should you feel like it.

Jan 15, 2013
S.Wales
Well that was a pretty easy decision haha.
Thanks a lot everyone! I'm liking these forums already.

I might splash out the extra £2 on a robust to get a slightly sturdier blade :p

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Any Mora will do, I still use a £2.43 one for battening use and don't worry about marking it, also the Hultafors HVK a great knife for the money, Welcome to the forum.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
There is no doubt we all like mora's but all that will happen is you will buy one then want to upgrade, just go for the one you fancy to start with save having a mora in the cupboard like everyone else. If you do buy an american knife like a kabar, check out www.ebay.com not co.uk as there are some decent second hand deals!

Lifes for living, splash the cash on something decent!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I always think that KA BAR knives look a bit military and are liable to give regular people the wrong idea about you.
I know it's still a tool not a weapon etc. but appearances can be misconstrued , particularly by ramblers who may come upon you by accident whilst you are preparing your campsite or splitting wood for a fire.Next thing you know your tent is surrounded by armed police! :AR15firin

Get a Mora or if you want to spend a bit more , a Helle or a Boker bushcraft.
You will , as we all do , attract knives like an electro-magnet as you get more into the hobby.There is always a reason to have more sharp shiny toys.
Sorry , I meant TOOLS. :bandit:
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE