Just to see what you would do.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Hi all, I have just received notice from my local water suppliers that they will have to cut off our water supply for a period not exceeding one week :yikes: .due to essential maintenance.
Now to me that is not a problem,my ideas are whizzing about already for preparation.The wife and 15 year old daughter on the other hand are concerned about "doing my hair" etc. But to get to the point how would you prepare in this situation and what "special" facilities could you rig up for the girls. :naughty: remember it is just for a week.
Me I am getting in the bottled water, rigging up a field shower in the bathroom and filling the bath with water for flushing the loos. :shock:
c'mon....what else would you do?
Geoff

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You can reduce water needed to flush by placing a sealed water container in the reservoir of the lou ( aka Crapper ) and reducing the volume. Do you have access to the large 55 gallon ( US gallon) plastic containers used for various fluids? Insist on taking only food grade. Anything else is likely to have carried chemicals of varying toxicity. Are you familiar with "Sea Showers?" You quickly rinse, turn off the water, lather up, turn water on and rinse again.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Pack the girls off to relatives or friends with water for a week, get the beer and fast food in and enjoy a week of quiet.
Sometimes we make things too complicated for ourselves!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
On a serious note, we had a similar thing happen when we had our bathroom and kitchen gutted and refitted.
We ate only food that could be microwaved or cooked in trays that could be eaten out of and thrown away (no washing up water).
Used only one Mug, knife, fork and spoon each for the same reason.
Used local swimming pools early riser swim for daily shower etc.
That way you will only need water for quick washes and the loo.
We also used water from the water butt for that.
Otherwise it's only bottled water for drinking that you need.
It also had its benefits. A bit of exercise in the mornings and put the teen off microwaved grub for ages!

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
Fill every container in sight with water, icluding the bath before they cut off your water. Don't forget your hot water tanks and toilet cistern are full of water, although it's best to purify this water before drinking. You can also collect rainwater by putting a bucket under your gutter downpipe, but again you'd want to purify it first.

In any case, anyone serious about survival should keep at least a few days worth of bottled water in the house (4 litres/person/day).

I'd be surprised if the water company doesn't provide water tankers, though.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
use any old water for flushing the toilet

keep a container next to the loo and top up the cistern after flushing, no need for that to be drinking water

tooth brushing with bottled water

veggies and cooking with clean water out the bath (it is gonna get boiled after all )

sponge baths in a sinkfull of water, may not be the most convenient but it is only for a week

a pan of water heated on the stove and topped up with cold water should do a hairwash in a sink , plastic cup to get water back the sink and rinse better

if that doesnt work buy a hat for each of the girls :eek:):

Tant

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Not wanting to spoil the fun, but won't the water company supply you with water and containers? It's all very well for people that are competent in situations like this to go without the luxury of running water ( :wink: ) but what about the elderly, the infirm, the townies*? :rolmao:

Hellz

*the ones that wouldn't recognise a tree if it fell on them...

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
my guess is the elderly will be among the least upset by a week without water

daily showers or baths is a relatively modern thing

they grew up with outside loos and chamber pots under the bed

water was heated on a kichen range in days gone by

oh and a plateful of warm gravel for breakfast :nana:

Tant

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Cheers guys :eek:): some usefull and some good funny stuff.In answer to the water bowser question I do not know if they will supply one but I think I am gonna go with the, "pack them of to family" option and put all the local takeaways on standby.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Pizza :naughty:
Geoff
:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE