Just starting out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tinweasle

Jan 14, 2011
Herts, beds, bucks border
Hi everybody, I'm moving more into bushcraft after skirting around it for many years (shooting, walking, camping ect) and I'm trying to sort some basic kit without spending to much, other than my tent sleeping bag, roll mat and clothing this is what I have found already.

001-1.jpg

Roughly in some sort of order I have at the top my leather wide brim hat, a selection of refrence books, a drinks bottle, MSR stove, small first aid kit, Bino's, alu pans, camp cook, 2 Gerber multy tools, cheep folding knife, fire bow, flint and steel, magnesium rod, tinder, paracord braclet, travel towl, paracord, flexy (chain) saw, folding saw, wooly hat, 3 way folding spade, leather work gloves, Falkniven DC4 stone, Falkniven F1 (in leather sheath with magnesum rod and spair paracord), shemagh and a scrim scarf, and the skills to use everything, oh and the ponco its all layed out on

So first question is am I missing anything or is there anything that should be swaped?

Also I'm looking for a good pack, possably ex military to use as a day sack, and a guide to trees and fungi, can anybody recamend any?

Cheers

Shaun

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like you've got a good starter kit there Shaun.

I can't see any mention of a torch, head or hand. You'll find them handy as it gets dark in them thar woods :rolleyes:

Tinweasle

Jan 14, 2011
Do'h, I carry a head torch in just about every jacket I own so I don't think of them as extra kit, I also have glowsticks which are handy, and I'm thinking of getting one of those lantens that hold a candle if I can find one at the right price.

Cheers

Shaun

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mesquite, I have just noticed your just down the road from me, I'm from Tring we must share the same stomping ground!

Cheers

Shaun

So we are :)

As for stomping grounds, more than likely. I tend to go for bimbles round Wendover woods, Ashridge and a couple other places

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you've got everything covered there Shaun, I'd be tempted to drop the shovel but that's just me.

E

ex member coconino

I've used the same gloves and had the yellow hands to prove it. Those shovels are heavy, swap it for a trowel? Likewise, your stove and pans look weighty. Unless you're very familiar with your location, a compass is a good idea, which implies a map which in turn implies something to keep it dry in. I find a small hatchet is handy too. There's a lot of kneeling involved so I like to carry either knee-pads or a square of old foam mat. I also carry some natural fibre string for this and that, and a couple of clothes pegs. YMMV.

Tinweasle

Jan 14, 2011
So we are

As for stomping grounds, more than likely. I tend to go for bimbles round Wendover woods, Ashridge and a couple other places
both areas I have spent many happy years wondering around

Cheers for the imput everybody, I do see that the spade is a hefty bit of kit, but I live on the chiltens, and the ground tends to be flinty and chalky so hard to dig, and I know that I can get through anything with it if I want to, and more importantly I happen to have it, likewise the mess kit is something I have for hiking and only weights in at about 400grams, the stove is also from my hiking kit and again comes in at just under 400grams plus fuel, I would really like to have a camp fire but not having permision to camp anywhere I dont like to leave any more sign than I need to.

Yes a map and compass will come into play along with my GPS when I'm happy I know what I'm doing and start to travel further but at the moment I'm in an area that I have lived in for all my life so I'm not to worried for now.

Keep the comments comming as your giving me lots to think about, and its allways good to know others opinions

cheers

Shaun

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
in respect to the candle lantern, i was looking at getting one also however a bit of messing about i got a small jam jar bit of paracord to make a hanging loop and a tea light and jobs a gooden. You can even store a few candles in the jar too with the lid on. Surprisingly bright it is too. :D

Tinweasle

Jan 14, 2011
Roger phillips for fungi, about the most comprehensive and informative books available.
Ordered from amazon

in respect to the candle lantern, i was looking at getting one also however a bit of messing about i got a small jam jar bit of paracord to make a hanging loop and a tea light and jobs a gooden. You can even store a few candles in the jar too with the lid on. Surprisingly bright it is too.

I like that idea I will give it a try

Cheers

Shaun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE